CHEAP & GOOD Cupra induction kit...

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Hi guys/gals!

Just thought I would make a quick thread re this cold air induction kit i found on ebay... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-AUDI-...emZ220097257775QQcategoryZ36680QQcmdZViewItem

77e9_1.JPG

I fitted one to Craig's cupra last night, was easy enough to do.

Craig got the kit for a VERY reasonable price :yes: :-o and tbh IMHO i think its much better value for money compared to the similar alternatives (carbonio/K&N typhoon/forge/pipercross etc) which are around the £200 mark i think.

ok you may say well the quality of the kit isn't as good, but it actually is, the actual filter itself was better than i expected quality wise! (its cotton gauze and no oil! ;-) )

the kit sounds amazing, deep induction with a nice whoosh from the DV! :whistle: :redface:

and both Craig and i feel that the car now spools up better and is better from 5k onwards! :)

i did some logging before we fitted it (he had a ram air open cone) and unfortunately my lap top died as we were logging the new set up! [:@] so il have to do it later for him, but like i said, we definitely think its an improvement to the open cone ram air induction kit he had on! :yes:

I didn't plan on making this thread otherwise i would have taken some fitted pics! :doh:

il get Craig on the case tho!

so basically if your thinking of buying a carbonio or similar DONT, save about £150 and buy this IMHO! :yes:

over and out!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
un-oiled cotton gauze filter wont catch dust to the extent oiled ones do.
beware of thin cotton gauze filter and its actual dust filtration ability.

same comparison to stainless steel gauze filters, flowing well, but filtering little but the big bits. (and not dust)

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Ive got a typhoon kN filter in that style as well!
With these you could hear dump valve from out side!

quiet hard to fit, as the battery has tomcome out for metal piping to in and car has to be jacked so you get into the arch to install the filter!

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
A tube is a tube is a tube. A filter on the other hand...

Might be worth pricing a similar sized Green cone filter to bung on the end :shrug:

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Thats true!

when fitting you filter make sure its nice and tight! I neva screwed mines in and few days later, checked it was gone :( Cost few bucks to replace! Now ive made sure it dont fall out ;)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
It looks good, but two things would worry me...

The filtration... if it flows so well and costs so little, what are the chances it's filtering as well as a more expensive filter?
And, heat soak. Metal piping, open cone filter, no shield all spells heat soak to me.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
The whole point of a CAI is that the filter runs down low at the front of the engine bay (approx where the foglights are). Designed that way to get the filter as far away from the engine heat as possible, although IMHO I wouldn't run a filter down there 'cos that's where all the road crap is (but then, I do LOTs of mile per year).

Polished metal piping will reflect more radiant heat than black plastic (or black painted metal). Whether it transfers more heat to the intake air is another matter.

I'd be significantly more bothered about heatsoak on the inlet manifold TBH.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
what feel said! :yes:

the open cone ram air filter that craig had before suffered from heat soak big time! (obviously)

as for quality of the filter, it looked good to me! looked very similar to my green panel filter and many other K&N filters i have had before!

I may tell craig to buy a K&N sock to cover it to help filter the dust a bit... will also be a good idea as the filter sits rights behind the fog light!

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
Im liking the look of the alluminum pipe, pitty it doesnt fit the LCR, !

i had an idea of modding it... i could cut the alloy pipe and put the filter parallel with the air box and wing, but even with my batter relocation brackets there is no way the filter will fit in that gap! (you would need a 4" diameter max filter to fit in the gap... ie. a small filter :()

also our maf is bigger so would need a silicon reducer pipe to fit the alloy pipe to the maf!

too much hassle, i only thought of doing it as for the price it would be worth a go, but i have changed my mind now, stick with my modded airbox :)

but if i had a cupra i would go for this kit! :yes:

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
Wouldn't worry about heat soak to the pipes or the filter. By the time the air gets sucked into a super-hot turbo and forced into the intercooler(s), it'll make very little if any difference what temperature the air was at the filter.

CAI on a turbo car makes no difference whatsoever to throttlebody air temps, the only thing they are good for is noise and engine bay bling if thats what your into.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I can see where you're coming fro, but hotter air does have a big impact on power. Plus cooler air helps improve turbo efficiency over hotter air.

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004
CAI on a turbo car makes no difference whatsoever to throttlebody air temps, the only thing they are good for is noise and engine bay bling if thats what your into.

well they are much better than an open cone filter bolted onto the maf thats for sure! HEAT SOAK!!!!!!

and tris... i never said it did! ;)

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i had a similar kit to that on my old mondeo, it bolted straight onto the throttle body replacing the crappy ford plenum & pipework, for the money it was a good bit of kit but i replaced the actual filter with a pipercross filter and it was awesome. if something similar was available for the LCR i'd be tempted to replace my ramair filter.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.