Cheap HID's

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
The Gates of Hell (Croydon)
Right... the mydepots HID kit arrived this morning, and I fitted it this evening (using RobM's excellent guide). Pretty easy, although there were a couple of fiddly bits, like getting the clip around the back of the bulb with the dirty great wire coming out of it, and finding somewhere to tuck all the wires away (especially passenger side).

That said, after about an hours work, and a couple of skinned knuckles, I'm very happy with the result! The kits also seem to be top quality, which is incredible given the price.

Now I have a query... I want to keep halogen full beams, as I want to avoid the start-up delay for when I want to flash the lights, etc.

I'm currently using Osram Silverstars, but in comparison with the 6k HIDs these still look really really yellow. Does anyone know of halogen bulbs that are a reasonable match to the HIDs colour-wise? Phillips bluevision perhaps?

Thing is I don't want to shell out on new bulbs if they don't look any better than the ones i've already got!

Last edited:

Cupra Ross

Breaks things............
May 15, 2005
Edinburgh, Scotland
As far as I'm aware, there are no reasonably priced halogen bulbs in H7 fitment that can deliver a colour temperature of anywhere near 6000 kelvins.

I noticed the same thing after I fitted mine, the main beams start to look incredibly yellow.

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Glad you got them fitted ok and found the guide helpful :)

I have the same problem though. I'm going to be fitting some Power Bulbs 'Power Blue' bulbs tomorrow in the hope that they looks somewhere close to it. the standard bulbs are so yellow in comparison to the HID's. These came from PowerBulbs direct on their 2-for-1 deal so were nicely priced. I've used them before for main beams and was very impressed, but how they look next to HID's I don't know.

I'll fit them tomorrow and report back :)

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
Hmmm... I had a feeling that halogens will always be pretty yellow in comparison. I guess that's to be expected, otherwise HIDs lose a lot of their point!

Guess it's probably going to be a case of sticking with the Silverstars for the time being... although I'll be very interested in your findings RobM!

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
I'm currently using Osram Silverstars, but in comparison with the 6k HIDs these still look really really yellow. Does anyone know of halogen bulbs that are a reasonable match to the HIDs colour-wise? Phillips bluevision perhaps?

I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you because the only thing you are going to be using your full beams for is flashing people. Not sure how its on the Leons, but at least on the Ibiza when you switch on your full beam, the low beam switches off. After driving around at night with the HIDs for about an hour I switched my main beams on and I was like :-o :wtf: , as all I could see was a big yellow blur. BTW I'm using the Philips Blue visions in my main beams. Its absolutely amazing just how much clearer and crisper the visibility is with HIDs. And switching between dipped and main beams is a superb comparison. Has anyone else noticed just how reflective reflective signs are now.

Mig

Nathanio

May 26, 2005
West Sussex
www.w1pcs.co.uk
In the Leon they both stay on at the same time so you get a yellow top half from the main bulbs and a blue bottom section from the dipped HIDs! It looks purdy but can be a bit distracting!

I looked into this at some length and the only ones that come close are Philips DiamondVision but you can't get them in this country...

Personally i've now given up and happy with the results the Osram Silverstar Main beam gives for its distance. Having HIDs as dipped helps anyway.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
I don't know what the fuss is about, after fitting HID to two cars now, i've not needed to use the main beam for much as the dipped beam is more than enough :)

Will report back once the lights are on the car as i'll have a direct comparison to HID through normal lenses.

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
Going to order some of these but just had a quick
When fitting the bulbs are they held in place as the normal ones are with the wire clip behind them.

In short, yes... however the bulb has a wire coming from the back of it which can't be removed, so it can be a bit of a mission getting the clip over.

My solution was to actually remove the clip altogether (ie not just unclip it, but remove it from the little holes that it is hinged from). I then then put in the HID bulb, and re-attached the clip over the wire before clipping it back in (if that makes sense).

It's quite fiddly, and you have to be careful not to do what I did and drop the clip in the engine bay :doh: Thankfully in my case, I was able to see the clip after a bit of hunting, and could retrieve it with the help of a long stick and a magnet!

Last edited:

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
Thanks for the quick reply. Looks like scraped knuckles for me.

You won't regret it!

The mydepots lights are an absolute steal for the price (they appear to be the exact same kits that are often selling for 5x the price in the UK - albeit in a different box), and I doubt you can do another mod to your car for this money which will make as much of a positive difference to your everyday driving.

TDI PEP

LEON MKII FR TDi
Apr 22, 2002
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
Visit site
It is more for the wife as she drives down country roads to get to work and keeps moaning how crap the lights are even though I have upgraded the bulbs. Hopefully these will make her journey safer....

Arnolfini

Muppet
Nov 23, 2006
Heh - that's pretty much the same as me. I drive to work down little unlit windy country roads, and even with the Osram Silverstars in the lights were rubbish.

I used to drive a 13 year old Mini with 4 spotlights for the main beam that would light everything up as if it was daytime, so the crappy lights on my nice modern Leon were a bit of a shock when i got it. Ah well, now the HIDs are in it will no longer be an issue!

Last edited:

monkeyboy123987

Aug 2, 2005
Hi Guys!

fitted my kit today cannot belive how easy it was! I will be posting some piccys of where i fitted the units, cant wait until tonight on my way home to see the results!!

monkeyboy123987

Aug 2, 2005
Well guys drove home last night all I can say is wow!! I have the 8000K bulbs in at the mo due to a mix up from MYDEPOTS they are abit too blue for my liking these my attract unwanted attention, also I have put the led sidelights from autobulbsdirect in they look blue too, can anyone post a piccy of the LED bulbs they have from autobulbsdirect??

Thanx guys

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
I've only got a daytime pic of the sidelights at the moment, but will get a better pic later on if you like.

HID12.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.