Chip or remap - mobile?

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Personally I never liked the idea of a tuning box, because of the way they work.
They can over stress your injectors.
Personally remap for me.
Answer to your question earlier tom driving to work on my usual route, I drove sensibly and Avg mpg has gone up by 3 mpg with Bluefin remap.

Jan 24, 2011
Personally I never liked the idea of a tuning box, because of the way they work.
They can over stress your injectors.
Personally remap for me.
Answer to your question earlier tom driving to work on my usual route, I drove sensibly and Avg mpg has gone up by 3 mpg with Bluefin remap.

Thanks for letting me know, decent enough ;) I'll see what angel have to say, then make my decision.

Yours is a 2009, correct? Did it work right away? Bluefin say 2010 and later might need ecu removing, which means I'd have to take the car somewhere anyway in which case it may as well be angel.

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Yes mine is a 2009, not sure when they locked the ECU's on the Exeo, to take it to superchips for a remap I was quoted 365 for the remap and £50 to unlock the ecu if it was locked, but as mine was unlocked I could use the Bluefin.
Angel will be able to tell you when you take it to them.

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
The DTUK CRD2+

I looked at their website and for the 170ps Exeo they quote a jump from 170ps (168bhp) to 225ps (222bhp) for a plugin box.

Compared to a full rolling road ECU remap from Angel Tuning (170 to 205bhp) or AMD (170 to 195bhp - data for 170ps non-PD diesel in Mk6 Golf).

I have trouble believing that a DIY add-on box can do a far better job than an ECU remap.

Jan 24, 2011
I looked at their website and for the 170ps Exeo they quote a jump from 170ps (168bhp) to 225ps (222bhp) for a plugin box.

Compared to a full rolling road ECU remap from Angel Tuning (170 to 205bhp) or AMD (170 to 195bhp - data for 170ps non-PD diesel in Mk6 Golf).

I have trouble believing that a DIY add-on box can do a far better job than an ECU remap.

222 seems pretty ridiculous, agreed.

PeeJay

Jan 22, 2014
Most of these website claims are pretty vague if you really look at the small print.

Personally I'm not a fan of tuning boxes, the unbranded ones at least simply fool the ECU into dumping more fuel in - how this is going to perform the magical "more power, more economy" claim they always have is beyond me - "**** up your DPF" is probably more accurate.

The Bluefin thing seems a sort of half-way house between a generic re-map and a rolling road re-map - you upload the data from the ECU and they write a map for you - how good it'll be over and above a generic map I don't know - either way you're paying a lot for some hardware you'll only use once.

I still haven't done mine yet - depending how much money the Wife wastes on feeding the kids and keeping the light on at home I'll either take it for a generic map in a decent looking garage that's been in business for more than a week, or take it for a rolling road map - I suspect the latter will be a tiny bit better, but modern engines are built to such tiny tolerances I can't see the point on such new engines unless you've got other mods in place or want it tuned to same fancy diesel or other.

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Well a update on my Bluefin had a rolling road test at a friends garage and a run it produced 152bhp at the wheels, which shouldn't be confused with manufacturers figures as these are taken from the flywheel.( so roughly 183 bhp at the flywheel)
connected Bluefin up and loaded standard map and figures were 117bhp(141 bhp) at the wheels so really chuffed.
I was told that the car will produce more power in the winter due to the colder air roll on the winter lol

Jan 24, 2011
Well a update on my Bluefin had a rolling road test at a friends garage and a run it produced 152bhp at the wheels, which shouldn't be confused with manufacturers figures as these are taken from the flywheel.( so roughly 183 bhp at the flywheel)
connected Bluefin up and loaded standard map and figures were 117bhp(141 bhp) at the wheels so really chuffed.
I was told that the car will produce more power in the winter due to the colder air roll on the winter lol
My cupra r was always quicker on cold mornings in the winter. Noticeably so. Seems they lose a lot between the flywheel and the wheels then. The cupra lost hardly any.

Never got a call back from angel and they haven't replied to my online enquiry on saturday, will have to chase that tomorrow.

Last edited:

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
All cars loose about 20% of power once it gets to the wheels. Gearbox etc.
My mk4 golf tdi 130 definitely felt quicker in the winter.
Did have a revo map on it but took it off as didn't like the way the power was delivered it was all or nothing

Jan 24, 2011
All cars loose about 20% of power once it gets to the wheels. Gearbox etc.
My mk4 golf tdi 130 definitely felt quicker in the winter.
Did have a revo map on it but took it off as didn't like the way the power was delivered it was all or nothing
Have heard that about revo. That's why I chose amd for the Leon. Insane map that was, I'll never forget the drive home!

uknowthat

Apr 3, 2014
Have u researched angel tuning. Alfa owners seem to love them but there are a few horror story's on forum with regards to maps and dpf delete

Jan 24, 2011
Have u researched angel tuning. Alfa owners seem to love them but there are a few horror story's on forum with regards to maps and dpf delete
I searched remaps but not angel, and I searched for exeo only. I shall have a further look, thanks mate.

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Locked Ecus will be present from 2010 onward, no way of telling without attempting an ecu read.

Revo's files on the CR engines are regarded as the golden goose particularly on the cr170.
The power delivery is very linear which is how most of the Revo files are these days apart from those where there's a choice of linear or aggressive.

Lots of members have switched to Revo from other companies.

Jan 24, 2011
Locked Ecus will be present from 2010 onward, no way of telling without attempting an ecu read.

Revo's files on the CR engines are regarded as the golden goose particularly on the cr170.
The power delivery is very linear which is how most of the Revo files are these days apart from those where there's a choice of linear or aggressive.

Lots of members have switched to Revo from other companies.
I didn't realise revo did the diesels.. Something else to look at. Cheers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.