Chosen a Cupra 300 over a BMW M240i

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Haven't read the whole thread, but, I had my dads m235i for 2 months. When I gave it back I wasn't absolutely gutted, nor did I feel that I had to have one.

I bought a Cupra SC 290 black over an m140i or m240i. I could've had either - the huge 20% discounts available on the bmws actually mean a fully specced up one is the same price as a Cupra on pcp. But I didn't want one and I don't regret my decision either.

I wanted a hot hatch, not a cruiser with a big engine in. The BMW is too plain inside, too. The Cupra was more what I wanted from a car.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Where do you guys drive to say Cupra's are not common. I see them every where. One day last week I drove from MK to Bury and saw 5 mk3 Cupra's throughout the day and then plenty of other Leon's. I see them more than M140i & M240i and even more than Golf R's

WhenImAlone

Feb 23, 2017
Where do you guys drive to say Cupra's are not common. I see them every where. One day last week I drove from MK to Bury and saw 5 mk3 Cupra's throughout the day and then plenty of other Leon's. I see them more than M140i & M240i and even more than Golf R's

I'm around the Cheshire/Liverpool area and can honestly say that, at most, I might see another Cupra 2/3 per month. I'm not trying to say they're ultra-rare nationwide but there's a lack of them around this area and that certainly appeals to me.

Standard and FR Leons are almost everywhere and I see them at least 4/5 times per day.

Last edited:

philmots

Jan 29, 2017
Leeds
Each to their own, great cars the M140's.

I thought about one but they're a chunk smaller inside than the Cupra (2 kids) and then financially they didn't make sense against the Cupra. The Cupra on the right deal is a cheap car, coupled with cheap insurance and an average of 33mpg it's peanuts to run. I kind of prefer the zero image of the cupra too.

If the 140 was a bit bigger I'd have still chosen the Cupra based on it being better value, but that's mainly because we've just sold our first house and bought our forever house and it's a helluva project. Priorities and all that...

OptimusDecline

Feb 24, 2016
Scotland
I bought an M135i in Dec 2014. By Feb 2016 I'd ordered a Cupra 290 to replace it. Lost about £5k in depreciation but I just didn't like it as much as I thought I would after the inital test drives. I guess I was seduced by the big lusty 6 cylinder and RWD in a compact sized car and overlooked how soft it was. More of a mini GT car in my opinion which is great if that's what you're after. I was looking into the Birds handling upgrades but figured i'd spend a lot of money on small improvements and end up selling anyway.

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent

I live in Kent and I rarely see even mk2 Cupra's let alone the mk3's. I see quite a few mk3 FR's but I can count on one hand the amount of Cupra's.

I see more mk1 LCR's than either the mk2 and mk3 combined.

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
I'm around the Cheshire/Liverpool area and can honestly say that, at most, I might see another Cupra 2/3 per month. I'm not trying to say they're ultra-rare nationwide but there's a lack of them around this area and that certainly appeals to me.

Standard and FR Leons are almost everywhere and I see them at least 4/5 times per day.

Agreed. Same applies for Ibiza Cupra's (especially the 1.8TSI's) in comparison to Fiesta ST's/Corsa VXR's:lol:

mrbugle

Jun 25, 2015
Maybe it's just the area then because I rarely see a mk1 or even many mk2's

Even here in Birmingham, I've only seen 3-4 Cupra's since I got mine in March.
When I had my FR ( back in 2015) I'd see 1-2 a week, now I see at least 10 every day on my commute to/fro work)

sheffield

Jan 11, 2017
Even here in Birmingham, I've only seen 3-4 Cupra's since I got mine in March.
When I had my FR ( back in 2015) I'd see 1-2 a week, now I see at least 10 every day on my commute to/fro work)

Same here in North London, only ever seen 2 other 300s, but plenty of standard or FRs.

G.P

Sep 3, 2011
Worcestershire
Two totally different cars due to front/rear drive. I can fully understand why you've gone with the Cupra, its a great everyday car regardless of weather. The M135i and M235i handle differently due to the rear suspension with the M235i been more controllable, it the Closest car I driven to a Sapphire Cosworth.

Having also been lucky enough to experience the 1M and M2 I'd have the M235i anyday, much more of a drivers car, but would I want to drive a rwd all year in all weathers...