Cleaning & Polishing Forge FMIC

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
After a winter of collecting salt & road grime, my Forge FMIC is looking a bit minging :(

First question, can it be cleaned with the bumper on (does the centre grille pop out?) or is it a bumper off job? (It's an LCR by the way... if that makes any difference? :shrug: )

Secondly, what's the best method of cleaning? Obviously I don't want to block the fins by blasting dirt in with a hose...

Can anyone recommend a decent alloy polish to make it nice & 'bling' again?

Finally, is there anything I can protect it with? What I mean is, like you would use a good quality wax to seal & protect paint... is there anything I could use on the FMIC?

gazjones

i use peek metal polish bit like autosol lots of motorbike riders use it on there metal work brings it up nice

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
if your being proper - read ANAL . take the bugger off and flush it out with gunk- as in the engine/general degreasant , the amount of oily crud that comes out is unthinkable

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Thanks for the replies guys :)

Won't be going as far as taking it off & flushing it right now, it's not been on for that long. Saw the crap that dribbled out the bottom of the SMIC's after only 12k miles though...

Think I'll just clean & polish the front of it for now. Does the centre grille pop out like the fog light grilles? Just being lazy... tried pulling on it but don't want to snap anything! lol

Haven't really got the time at the moment if it's a bumper off job :(

cordobabrendy

FOOORRREEE!
Aug 24, 2001
belfast
dont be too tough on the fins, they wont clean by wiping alone, if I was you id leave the fins alone and autosol the rest of the end tanks, its aluminium so chances are its not all dirt either, some oxidisation will have occurred so happy scrubbing, i did mine before winter and its as bad as ever.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.