Climate control fault (no windscreen blow or heat)

Lectrician

Jan 12, 2010
My Ibiza 2004 has developed a fault. It has been cold recently (often -5 at night).

The climate control now will not blow any hot air (the fan works, and the speed changes).

The ventilation directors also do not change as expected. I cannot get any air up onto the windscreen, and when pressing the other direction buttons it can be hit and miss as to if anything works.

Pressing the recirculate air button seems to improve things, but still no air to screen or heat.

This is an annoying problem, and I am worried it is going to be a costly one!

Any advice apreciated.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Difficult one to give the correct answer first time - if you had something like VAG COM you could get this to run a full module scan on the car including the HVAC. The worrying bit is it could be a temperature flap motor failure and maybe a air direction flap motor - or maybe the HVAC control unit. I hope not.

Have you had this car for long and has this problem just appeared?

Lectrician

Jan 12, 2010
I have had the car from new, and it has always worked ok.

The car was not used for 4 or 5 days during the very cold icy weather, and it was after this that the problems immediately started.

Where are the motors and diverter flaps located? Is it a matter of taking the dashboard apart?

Rather annoying!

Lectrician

Jan 12, 2010
Is it worth getting a VAGcom lead and free software? Would this show anything?

Can I use the climate control to get fault codes? I have read this somewhere, but not sure how effective this is - how do you know what codes are what?

Lectrician

Jan 12, 2010
Just bumping this and adding some info.

I have just noticed that although the control screen in acting like normal, and acting as if it will work, the outside temperature is missing from the screen. It is just blank where it should be.

Would this indicate a faulty stat sensor? Would this cause the other errors I am seeing?

Thanks for any help.

andyhan

hi - last summer had the same problem on my 04 ibiza, took the negative battery lead off for a short time and it reset the climate, no problems since.

Lectrician

Jan 12, 2010
Just disconnected the battery and re-connected.

The display flashed every LCD digit for a good few seconds and then settled. Everything now works perfectly!

Thanks for the pointer, i should have tried this really last week! It is a fairly obvious thing to do:redface:

asthpsw

Apr 23, 2004
Southampton
I posted below earlier in the Toledo Mk 1 & 2 Forum but since come across the above post, does my symptoms sound the same & when it stops raining to disconnect the negative lead to the Battery. Is there an ECU in Climatic Control then ? Here's what I posted :

Climate Control blowing Cold OK but not Hot

I have a 2001 Toledo SE Whilst driving in the heavy cold rain today suddenly all the Windows steamed up. I stopped and on investigation I found that although the fan was blowing hard it seemed to be that the "flaps" were not open. However if I set the Temperature control to "LOW" the blower blows out of the screen vent as expected but as soon as I put it to 18DegC it just seems to close down the flap for blowing out of the screen (or any other vent come to that).

The Blower motor must be working as it works great on "LOW" and for the same reason the Flap must be opening OK. I checked the coolant level and is fine (no different to when I went out as coincidently I checked it). When set on a Temperature 18-24 or "HOT" the dashboard does get warm as if the fan is blowing hot air but just being stopped from coming out of the screen vent. Up arrow for screen vent or screen mist button makes not differenced.

Has anyone else experienced this, I've turned engine off, left it for awhile incase there's any "errors" that need reseting but no different. Why I wrongly thought this is because the electrics seem to be working OK.

Further to earlier I tried the Climate Control diagnostics and report the following :

at 1c the code is .0 which "No malfunction Present"

at 8c which is "digital value of Temperature Regulator Flap Motor Potentiometer (G92)" this shows "0"

32c to 35c (various Potentiometer malfunction counter for various flaps) all read "0"

I wondered if there was some malfunction in an internal temperature sensor that maybe was saying the internal temperature was already too high to allow more hot air in but the sensor in the headliner showed 17DegC and the one in the instrument panel showed 16DegC.

Thanks Paul

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members