Clunk when setting off/slowing down

kakshmire

Hi guys, before I get this down the garage and it starts costing money, does anyone have any idea what might be causing a clunking kinda noise when setting off or slowing down. Usually it happens at pretty slow speed but has happened when I've just been driving along kinda thing and sounds like its coming from right underneath the car, hard to tell though. Seems very weird and intermitant too. Probably coincidence but it seems to happen more in the rain...

Cheers

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
Could be your ARB or your Wishbone bushes causing the clunk. Have a search for 'ARB knocking' and 'TCA rear bush'....You should get loads of threads come up as they are common problems :)

kakshmire

Thanks for the quick reply, I went out to look at the ARB knocking thing and it doesn't seem to be that. But noticed the suspension springs jump slightly as you turn the wheel and make what sounds like the right noise. It's sort of like as you turn the wheel the spring turns, gets stuck a tiny bit and then frees. I know literally nothing about cars and the like so I've got no idea what that would be or mean. Anyone with any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I would say that its the Top mount bearing has probably gone or part of the spring snapped off. Mine was making a knocking sound like you describe and turned out to be the top mount.

kakshmire

Sounds like we could have winner :) quick other question... How much was it to fix :headhurt:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.