Clutch Issue

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Hi. I didn't know whether to put this in the TDI section or not, but here it is... (Car is a mk2 TDI Ibiza)

It's not a problem as such, but i don't think it's right. Basically, when the car's in gear, (1st), i can take my foot off the clutch pretty sharply (no revs) and the car doesn't stall. It just 'runs' foward very quickly. Same for 2nd but i have to release the clutch a little slower. I can even do this going up a hill, although if i'm going up a hill i have to release it a little slower.

I know you could probabaly get the car going without revs by releasing the clutch slowly, but i can literally take my foot of the clutch in a flash and the car doesn't stall. It also judders really bad when i'm coming to a stop.

Not the best way of explaining it, but if i was coming to a stop in my Toledo or Honda i'd only need to depress the clutch if i was in 3rd or 4th, but in my Ibiza i need to depress the clutch the same distance away when i'm in 1st or 2nd. (Hope that makes sense).

Basically, in the Toledo, if i'm in 2nd and coming to a stop, i can almost come to a complete stop before i have to depress the clutch, but in the Ibiza i have to depress the clutch from about 10MPH, and 20 or so yards, even in 1st.

Basically the car doesn't like going below about 10/15 MPH without the clutch being engaged, even in first. And if didn't brake, and the car was in first, it would never come to a stop. I've tried testing this by driving up a steep hill in 1st gear with no revs. The car just keeps going, it doesn't slow down, just stays at a steady pace. Lol.

I've been living with this since i got the car about 6 months ago, thinking it was an anti stall system or something but i don't think it is. Any ideas?

P.S. Does anyone know if the TDI has a cable or hydraulic clutch, and/ or if it can be adjusted or if it's automatically adjusted?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Sorry for the long post)

Last edited:

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Hmmm. Wonder if it's something to do with having a more powerful engine? Long shot, but you never know...

Fenix

Apr 17, 2005
Essex
If it's any help, somedays I can crawl in first with my foot off the clutch, somedays I have to use the clutch alot or I will stall. Same with second gear - again, 10mph sometimes is fine sometimes I need first or a bit of clutch action. I remember back to my driving lessons - one car (a ford) was fine in second at lower speeds, but another car (mini) needed to be in first at 10mph or under.

I've got a 2L 8v Gti by the way.

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
think it is, cos in my corsa it would stall if i gradually lift the clutch, but in the beeza i can pull off and get up to 3rd gear lol (i was bored one night and tried it in my road lol)

Wallis22

Aug 25, 2007
Wonder if it's some sort of anti stall system then... If it is it's a good idea i think. Especially to learn to drive. If i ever have to teach someone to drive this is the car i'd do it in. :D Lol

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members