Clutch pedal dropped to the floor - Help

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Hi

This morning as I went to start the car (need to press the clutch pedal) it just immediately slammed to the floor. I brought it back up again with my hand and it stayed there but then as soon as I pressed it again, it's almost like it had a spring and went back to the floor again.

Does this mean my clutch has gone completely? Or something less expensive haha

2014 Leon FR 2.0 Diesel 184ps
Only 67k miles

Is it normal at this age/mileage? Seems quite premature. I drive the car sensibly and don't really use the power it has to be honest. Never drive it to the limits.

Any advice and help is appreciated.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Could be the slave cylinder. Not sure on the MK3, but on the MK2 it's a £35 part but they have to drop the whole gearbox housing to get it.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Sounds like slave or master cylinder, @Legojon its box out for slave on mk3 as well. Check if your brake/clutch fluid has dropped, see if you can see any leaks (probably not though :(). Master cylinder went on mine (no fluid drop at all), it was a case of changing parts until the issue was resolved, was bloody farcical! Hope you get it resolved quickly. Have you got warranty as they should cover it?

Reactions: Legojon

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Thanks for the reply guys.

No warranty, only 3 years manufacturer as far as I'm aware?

I'm going to replace the master cylinder first and see where we go from there. Is the master and slave cylinder two seperate parts?

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Sounds like slave or master cylinder, @Legojon its box out for slave on mk3 as well. Check if your brake/clutch fluid has dropped, see if you can see any leaks (probably not though :(). Master cylinder went on mine (no fluid drop at all), it was a case of changing parts until the issue was resolved, was bloody farcical! Hope you get it resolved quickly. Have you got warranty as they should cover it?

What did you end up replacing all in all? And was the problem just the master cylinder? Did you do that first or the slave first?

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
What did you end up replacing all in all? And was the problem just the master cylinder? Did you do that first or the slave first?
I had the dealership I bought the car from sort it out on warranty. If I’m honest they were not great at diagnosing it. They started with the slave cylinder, I put a new clutch in for cost price when the box was out, they then moved to the flywheel, replaced the pedal assembly and finally the master cylinder after I asked if they’d checked that. Basically the car has had a stupid amount of work done on it that wasn’t needed, I’d imagine I’m not so popular with the warranty company now! The master cylinder is attached to the top of the pedal assembly and is the easier of the two to sort out, couldn’t give you an exact cost but i doubt it would break the bank. Would be worth ringing up a good independent and getting their view on it. Expect it to be costly if it’s the slave though, it’s a good few hours dropping the box, at least that’s what I was told

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I had the dealership I bought the car from sort it out on warranty. If I’m honest they were not great at diagnosing it.

Never!

It should be a header on here. If you need a fault diagnosed, do NOT let a Seat dealer do it! Quick Fit, passing gypsies, your cat, pretty much anyone else but a Seat dealer.

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
I had the dealership I bought the car from sort it out on warranty. If I’m honest they were not great at diagnosing it. They started with the slave cylinder, I put a new clutch in for cost price when the box was out, they then moved to the flywheel, replaced the pedal assembly and finally the master cylinder after I asked if they’d checked that. Basically the car has had a stupid amount of work done on it that wasn’t needed, I’d imagine I’m not so popular with the warranty company now! The master cylinder is attached to the top of the pedal assembly and is the easier of the two to sort out, couldn’t give you an exact cost but i doubt it would break the bank. Would be worth ringing up a good independent and getting their view on it. Expect it to be costly if it’s the slave though, it’s a good few hours dropping the box, at least that’s what I was told

Thanks for the detail! Yeah I will gamble with the master cylinder first and if its that then I've saved ££££. If not then I'll get the rest done.

I've been told there's no point just doing the slave cylinder as that involves removing the transmission etc.. and have been advised to get the clutch and dual mass done entirely as its already been pulled out anyway.

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Thanks for the detail! Yeah I will gamble with the master cylinder first and if its that then I've saved ££££. If not then I'll get the rest done.

I've been told there's no point just doing the slave cylinder as that involves removing the transmission etc.. and have been advised to get the clutch and dual mass done entirely as its already been pulled out anyway.
Yeah you may as well put a new clutch in if the box is out. Good luck and let us know how you get on (y)

Jay5959

FR 184
Apr 26, 2020
Never!

It should be a header on here. If you need a fault diagnosed, do NOT let a Seat dealer do it! Quick Fit, passing gypsies, your cat, pretty much anyone else but a Seat dealer.
Aye, it does seem be a common theme on the forums! Not sure where you are based, but if you know of any good independents in Manchester let me know ?

Soundlab

Sep 14, 2019
Had this happen on mine (64-plate 1.4 FR) not long after I'd bought it. It was the Master Cylinder in my case.

Reactions: Jay5959

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
When we were diagnosing master/slave faults I made the guys a short length of pipe sealed at one end which was substituted in place of the slave feed pipe, with this in place if the pedal created pressure it was the slave, and if not the master was at fault. Always meant to make one up with a pressure gauge to check for a slow leak back but never got round to it. Not at a Seat dealer btw but should work the same?

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Not sure where you are based, but if you know of any good independents in Manchester let me know ?

I'm just East of Glasgow but I don't even know of any good VW/Audi techs here. I could do with one to sort an issue the dealer has failed to fix twice.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
After working in the motor trade for years, latterly in parts, there’s times I pushed the “Technician” out the way and did a job myself, servicing, following computer tasked jobs ok, mechanical engineering no, some I described as ‘unable to fit a nut in a monkey’s mouth’, and earning more per hour than me!

Reactions: Lozzy15 and Mr Pig

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
Problem is the master cylinder

I can obtain the master cylinder alone for about £60 from another parts supplier. OEM of course.

Butt then TPS do the master cylinder only with the clutch pedal assembly for about £150+

Question is, is it recommended to replace both together, or just the master cylinder alone?

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I could hazard a few guesses:- 1) the pedal assembly needs to come out to change the master cylinder, so there is an overall money saving for the customer if that complete assembly is replaced as one. 2) VW Group have identified an issue with the master cylinder physical design and when that is taken care of accompanying changes were needed to be made to the pedal assembly. 3) ??

Kaiju

Kaiju FR184
Jun 19, 2016
UK
I could hazard a few guesses:- 1) the pedal assembly needs to come out to change the master cylinder, so there is an overall money saving for the customer if that complete assembly is replaced as one. 2) VW Group have identified an issue with the master cylinder physical design and when that is taken care of accompanying changes were needed to be made to the pedal assembly. 3) ??

Both statements I can agree with

TPS did mention the part has been modified

So perhaps a fault was identified and its now been resolved.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members