Coilovers fitted

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
thats seems just about the right height to me!!

Mines not far off that height and i can get most places without any hassel!!!

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Anybody fancy doing a mini guide ?:D I spoke to rimstyle today and my coilovers should be here by next wednesday at the latest, Im only going to have saturday to fit them from 12 onwards. And the lad that was going to help me cant make it for then :( and i want them on and set up by the following saturday (RR day). So i fancy trying to fit them myself but its somthing ive never done before. Is it a one man job and fairly stright forward? From how i understand it you just remove the calipers and undo the top mount bolts remove and refit? Or is there abit more to it than that? Easy enough to fit the mounts and bearings? Or is that somthing that comes clear once the old one is off?

How long roughly should it take?

Any help would be fantastic, Sorry to HI-jack.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
So 3hrs should be about right? What sort of problems could i come to expect? just the norm seized bolts?

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
yeah thats about right i think i took about 5hrs to do mine, i was on my own that includes jacking up etc. the only thing i would mention is that on the rear you've got to do them at the same time.

As for the fronts the only problem i came across was the black caps ,on the strut top in the engine bay, were a b*****d to get off.

yeah i think there is a post in this thread with the correct sizes for the bolts/nuts somewhere you may need a drop head ring spanner to do up the top nut on the front or a deep socket.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
yeah i think there is a post in this thread with the correct sizes for the bolts/nuts somewhere you may need a drop head ring spanner to do up the top nut on the front or a deep socket.QUOTE]

Assuming the new coilovers come with the nuts? i shouldnt need to undo that bolt should i as i have all new mounts and bearings.

When say do them at the same time, i take it you mean dont fit one side then drop it down to fit the otherside? If so ill be placing 2 axel stands on either side when i do front and back.

Oct 31, 2006
Cambs
No you won't need to undo it but you will need to do the new one up onto the new top mount. you will need to use your old top mount nuts (3 of) aswell.

yeah jack the rear up completely and take both old shocks off (making sure you support the beam) and replace them with the new ones, they need to be done as pair other wise you won't be able to do the other side if done individually.

jonesya3

Dec 28, 2005
Liverpool
Got my kw coilovers to fit at the end of the month but just wanted to no whats the lowest people have gone without having problems with speed bumps etc plus i have a cupra r splitter on aswell :)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Am i right in thinking i can at least assemble the top mount before it goes on the car then its just a matter of doing the 3 top nuts up and re attaching the caliper to the coilover?

Should i have 6 new studs already fitted to the new front top mounts? or do you re-use the old ones? Or am i totally confused lol

Like i said never done this before so hence all the Q`s.

Last edited:
I never got the top strut BOLTS, that attached the top strut to the actual car. But I did get the nuts with hold the strut top on the spring.

Thats right mate.

Your going to...for rear

1. Take bolts out bottom and top. 1x 17mm bolt on bottom...with 2 nuts on top, not sure what sizes now.

2. Old strut will now just drop out.

3. Assemble coilover.

4. Fit coilover.

5. Tighten up bolts.

For fronts..

1. Undo 3x13mm bolts on top of old strut. Found in the engine bay

2. Remove rubber dome. I found this the hardest bit haha, because its quite tight in there.

3. Undo and remove 2x19mm bolts on bottom of suspension

4. Suspension will now just drop out

5. Assemble coilover

6. Fit, tighten up bolts

Bobs ye uncle ;)

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Sounds simple enough, I assume you can see the top and bottom mounts on the rear once they are removed so i know which way around to fit them?

Ill let you know how i get on next weekend when i come to fit them.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Just a quick update to say it was a bit of cake, Got them fitted in about 3hrs with no problems. Pics to follow this weekend from the RR day ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.