cold air feed idea pics

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
ok peeps as the weather was nice, i couldnt help but go and lay in the sun with a knife and cut holes in my LCR.... I must be stupid..

I cant seem to attach pics so i had to do it another way... also its not really a guide but im just showing you what i did and the problems involved, hopefully it will help some LCR owners as i know how hard it is to get a decent cold air feed to your filter.

i started off by taking off the nearside intercooler grill and foglight. i also removed to old oem air feed and battery cover (i had already fitted my dynatwist i just hadn't got around to doing the air feed).

i drew an 82mm circle just infront of the foglight fixing braket and then proceeded to cut on the line with a stanley knife through the two skins of plastic.... be very careful when going through the second skin as although when i checked from above all looked ok, when i finally got through i noticed a cable running close to where i cut. the other problem i found which again was sort of unavoidable was there was a bracket protruding into the nice hole i had just cut on the left hand side (looking from the front). i think from what i could see it was the end of the bumper bracket but as it was quite thin i literally bent it out the way (it may cause me probs in the future but i figured i could always bend it back and it wasnt going to get in the way of me fitting this pipe).

The Dynatwist come with an 80mm feed and although i have read peeps say they have a 100mm feed i found it almost impossible to get it down past the intercooler and headlight (i think there is something under the headlight which was causing most probs). maybe its only LC's that can get a 100mm feed down there.

once the pipe was close i managed to pull it through from underneath and it ended up a very tight fit.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/pro-bee/09042007255.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/pro-bee/09042007256.jpg

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/pro-bee/09042007258.jpg

As i put the hole so close to the foglight bracket the foglight wouldnt quite fit back on so it took me 30sec to just cut the top return off of the foglight, which hasnt affected its strength at all and i dont anticipate any probs with that in the future (i wouldnt have done it at 90 squids each if i wasnt confident).. so foglight back on.. YAY!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/pro-bee/09042007257.jpg

and air feed connected

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/pro-bee/09042007262.jpg

Something i did notice is that with a dynatwist and forge TIP i am getting a slight kink at the top of the TIP. i am close to removing the cold air feed on the filter to allow it to sit higher and relieve the TIP slightly.. i have PMed Forge and hopefully they can sort me a new connecting pipe with a slight angle (say 30degrees) to go from the MAF to the dynatwist.

So far with the air feed on the car feels great. i cant say its that much better than standard but i like it anyway.. i have noticed a massive difference in noise though. it is very quiet with the feed connected, compared to not..

Last edited:

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
With these cold air feeds, they all seem awfully close to the floor - what happens if you go through a big puddle & suck a load up?

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
it would have to be extremely deep... it would also come in your door!

Thx Dave

Dave i know this has worked out slightly different to what i wrote about before but i still feel that the air entering in front of the foglight will now be forced upwards (and down i suppose) into the feed. it is definately still a good place to find some fresh air and it only took an hour and a half

Last edited:

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
get yourself along to either the bedford, cambs or MK meets and let me take a look mate. does that mean i have to keep an eye open for a red LCR driving around bedford?

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
get yourself along to either the bedford, cambs or MK meets and let me take a look mate. does that mean i have to keep an eye open for a red LCR driving around bedford?

:lol: keep your eyes peeled mate and ill pull over and give you a good look..... at the feed only though..

when is the next meet?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
I think the main things are to let the engine suck the coolest air it can get - and with as little restriction as possible. The 'ram into the feed' effect will be quite negligible unless you fit a big scoop to the feed.

I think the standard ducting to the airboxes is poor and restrictive. Give your filter the biggest reservoir of air possible to suck on.

There are places on our cars where there is a restriction on the pipe size that you can fit. In an ideal world, i think you would fit a Jabba-style enclosure & filter, fed by a big duct, restricted only where it passed through narrow gaps - connected to a big effective scoop.

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
There are places on our cars where there is a restriction on the pipe size that you can fit. In an ideal world, i think you would fit a Jabba-style enclosure & filter, fed by a big duct, restricted only where it passed through narrow gaps - connected to a big effective scoop.

its just finding a place for a scoop though isnt it.. Seat have just filled every inch of the front of the car with intercoolers and rads.. thats not a bad thing though, just makes our lives harder.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
its just finding a place for a scoop though isnt it.. Seat have just filled every inch of the front of the car with intercoolers and rads.. thats not a bad thing though, just makes our lives harder.

True!

I'm going for one nearside lower front (behind the bumper) once my FMIC is on. That's probably the only LCR option too, otherwise you block the nearside intercooler.

If you could reposition the battery enough, the other option is behind the top nearside grille.

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
True!

I'm going for one nearside lower front (behind the bumper) once my FMIC is on. That's probably the only LCR option too, otherwise you block the nearside intercooler.

If you could reposition the battery enough, the other option is behind the top nearside grille.

i looked at the top grill but that seemed impossible and it also meant getting the feed around the battery was difficult.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
You can move the battery across about 35mm with some extra brackets. I knocked some up for a few people, but laziness means I haven't done any in a while :whistle:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
There is, but less than 5mm. Hardly creates any extra space for the airfeed. I can't remember when, but I started squeezing the battery back a bit at some point.

There *might* be some more room to be had if you raise the battery up, it might give you some more backwards, but it's obviously worth checking that you can still shut the bonnet!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
There is, but less than 5mm. Hardly creates any extra space for the airfeed. I can't remember when, but I started squeezing the battery back a bit at some point.

There *might* be some more room to be had if you raise the battery up, it might give you some more backwards, but it's obviously worth checking that you can still shut the bonnet!

Cheers Phil. :) When I get round to fitting my FMIC, I'll whip the battery out and have a good look.

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
Let me know how you get on with the FMIC... should be awesome..

i have a 24 mile run to work.... checked dynatwist housing after and it was absolutely freezing, everything else was boiling... success!!

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
ok so its been a few days now.... i've tryed a day with the feed on and a couple with it disconnected but still facing the filter.... both make the filter very cold but the disconnected options seems to be giving me a harder kick in the back (this is probably my imagination playing tricks as it sounds like darth vaders ***** is in my glovebox)... also it sounds like there is two dumps from the forge 007 do you think i need i stronger spring or is that normal?

have any of you ever left your air feed disconnected on your dynatwist?

Last edited:

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i left the cold air feed off of my ramair filter as it felt restricted with a cold air feed attached. i've since removed the filter and put my old airbox on with a standard filter in as my car felt underpowered. i'm either going to clean the ramair filter or give the bmc carbon filter a go.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members