Cold start check list.

ITech

Like alot of people on here I have a problem with my Leon Cupra when starting it from cold. It will stutter quite badly for the firtst couple of minutes and feel as if it is going to stall.

It seems that some people put up with this issue and other people have cured it by doing a variety of different things.

I am quite eager to cure mine too as I find it really frustrating that I can't just get in my car and drive away, I have to either wait for it to settle or put up with the juddering.

I have done a lot of searching on this problem over the last few days and have done the following to try to resolve the problem. Please also note that this problem has never thrown up any errors in VAG com.

1. First thing I tried was to repair the secondary air pump i.e. using bigger fixing screws to close the gap, this made no difference.
2. Second thing I done was to replace the temp sender sensor, this made no difference.
3. Third thing was to test all four coil packs, each one changed the engine note when removed so I assume they are all working fine.

What I want to know is what is the next step to curing this problem and would it be a good idea to make a list which everyone can follow to diagnose there cold start issues too. Maybe this could be made a sticky as most people seem to come across this at some point.

Is it worth me greasing the MAF sensor next or possibly replacing the MAF sensor? If neither of them fix the issues is it worth cleaning the throttle body?

Does anyone else have any suggestions or any ideas on a suitable checklist to work through?

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Cleaned the throttle body?
If/when you do so follow the sticky on re-setting it via vag-com.
If you don't have vag-com ask in the vag-com section if anyone is close enough to do it for you.

hara

Sep 26, 2009
continent
checklist for starting in cold weather (it can get really cold overnight) - regular maintanance stuff:
1. good battery
2. fresh filters - oil & petrol
3. fresh oil - proper temp and viscosity grades
3. high grade petrol especially if you have a diesel engine

ITech

Thinking about it, I tested the coilpacks after the car had been running a few minutes so it won't have been juddering, is it worth testing them again straight after a cold start?

I would need to be quick but I imagine if I have the engine cover etc already off before I start it then I should be ok.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.