Colour coded LCR splitter

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Im thinking of fitting a LCR splitter to my car and someone suggested getting it sprayed so it was the same colour as the car. What do people think?

Should I spray it Artic grey or leave it black?

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
I think you could use as much plastic primer as you like but the first time it scrapes chunks of paint will drop off and it will look a bit rough.

Plain grey plastic isn't very exciting but it does the job and is easy and quick to replace

ianrawlins

Munch
Mar 21, 2005
Kent
I would avoid painting like the plague! Although I have an LCR which is slightly lower than the LC (I think) It scrapes on anything over a 1:1000000 gradiant. If it were sprayed it would chip off and crack the first time you scrape it. And that would make it look worse than having it in the first place. just my 0.02p's worth

Cuprabob

Feb 6, 2006
Hi, I agree with the other comments, spraying it is a bad idea because it's get scraped and look terrible.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Im starting to get the feeling that people think this maybe a bad idea ;) .

Do people think the LCR splitter will look good on a silver car?

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
ArosaRacer said:
dont do it from personal experiance of tarmac and bumper meetings it wont look nice

I know they get scrapped a bit on the LCR but that has a deeper bumper. On the LC it wont be so low, will it still get scrapped?

Also isn't the bumper just painted plastic, that doesn't get chipped? Would the splitter be that different.

Thanks for your help guys

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
The splitter is on the LCR to take the knocks and protect a bumper (replacement of a bumper could cost you £400 painted and fitted) it's an early warning device or sacrafice strip if you will.

It IS also on the car for aesthetic purposes but at £20 a time the people at SEAT got it right and made this a functional piece rather than a skirt.

I went through 3 in 50k miles in my LCR (the garage broke one) so I was glad they were £20 and considered them a consumable like tyres.

We have given our advice, advice that you asked for........but it's your car, your decision and your money

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Thanks for the advice Ruddmeister, I just wanted to know if it got damaged that badly. I didn't realise it got so badly damaged, I didn't realise that people went though several of them. I can see now why its not painted. Thanks.

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
As you say you car will be slightly higher though :shrug:

I do recall my car being parked next to a CLK cabrio (CLK was pimped a little, tints, big bling wheels and bodykit etc but nicely done) the guy who owned the CLK said he liked my car and we got chatting.

His front splitter was part of this body kit he had on the car, it was body coloured (silver) and it was cracked, stone chipped and had lumps missing etc

Made his £40k Merc look very shoddy.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Its a tough call, I can get it sprayed for just the cost of the paint and a few beers ;). Its a shame no one with a LC who has one has posted. If theirs is getting a mashed as it does on the LCR then I wont bother spraying it.

TimBarratt

Oct 6, 2004
Blandford
Once its on, is it easy to take off without damaging the bumper. What I was thinking is i could fit it and see how it goes. If after a few weeks I find it isn't scrapping then I may get it sprayed.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Mines been on my LC for well over a year now.

It has been scraped on steel spoles and also by the Wife parking nose in to a kerb in a car park.

These have caused marks on the splitter but not so bad that I need to change it

It would look alot worse if it was painted.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Right mate, speaking from experience, and recent too:

You WILL scrape it - I've parked in a carpark space where length is a bit of an "issue" (for some reason spaces are short and people have to squeeze passed the parked cars) and I've hit the kerb at the front of the space a couple of times. It makes the front of the car a good 25mm lower at the tip.

Also multi-storey car parks, if not negociated properly and SLOWLY, you can scrape them. Now, it doesnt notice as its on the UNDERSIDE of the splitter - but if it was painted chances are a chip would occur and it'd look pants.

I totally agree with the above - DON'T Paint it. It looks fine on an artic/platinum LCR, so will look just as good against the colour on an LC.

My car is now lowered and I've not damaged the splitter since the first 2 weeks of having it on the car - just takes some getting used to and control when coming up to speed humps etc.

Its easy to remove - you'll just have 8 or so holes in the underside of the bumper rather than lots of scrape marks. Simply remove the screws and it'll fall off. Dead easy to swap if you damage it too. (perhaps easier than the clips on the LCR!)

Seriously though, don't paint it!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise