Colour Coding bumper strips on my LC

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Not expecting it to make a huge difference with the car being black but what do people think to colour coding them?

I'm sick of trying to keep them looking black instead of faded :D

Is this something I can do myself or best left to bodyshop you reckon?

I know the bumper ones clip off as removed them before... but assume the door ones are stuck on which means they should be sprayed on the car really...

I'm also considering having the lower bumpers colour coded leaving the LCR splitter unpainted... any thoughts?

Car in question:
Cupra

No idea why I keep getting a red x!

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/Scott_Davis/Cupra/?action=view&current=P1080703.jpg

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
When I did my01 I changed the front and back bumpers to the facelift which just left the external door trims to be painted, the stealers wanted stupid money for primed versions so I got a sparayer to prime over the plastic trim and colour code it, my neighbour who also mods said it probably would peel, so far it's comming upto 9 months and I must say he is right. Only very minor at the mo so am planning to try and seal it back up with touchup paint.

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
If I were u I'd either save the pennies for the proper bumpers(check eBay ) or just use backtoblack that really does make it look like new

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
If I were u I'd either save the pennies for the proper bumpers(check eBay ) or just use backtoblack that really does make it look like new

I dont want late spec bumpers :) ... I prefer the classier looks of the pre facelift... just fed up of blacking the strips :D

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
Fairplay mate but be warned that doing a prime coat to the front lower bumper will take alot of punishment and the peel effect will take hold quick. Jus dnt wanna c a good man waste precious mod tokens. As for the doors I was thinkin of doin wot Adam said but dnt forget u have to pay for a colour ontop of the 150 but it's a job that u won't need to go bk to

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Fairplay mate but be warned that doing a prime coat to the front lower bumper will take alot of punishment and the peel effect will take hold quick. Jus dnt wanna c a good man waste precious mod tokens. As for the doors I was thinkin of doin wot Adam said but dnt forget u have to pay for a colour ontop of the 150 but it's a job that u won't need to go bk to

My local bodyshop did my old mirror housings on my 306 a few years ago that had the same effect and they painted them using high build primer especially for unpainted plastics... they never peeled in two years...

So I reckon bodyshop is the way to go now ... DIY will mean peeling!

jake

I AV MOSTLY BEEN BEATING
Feb 2, 2003
rochdale
Visit site
we'd charge £40 for the front and £40 for the rear, thats primed smoothed and painted factory colour,

we charge £40 for door moldings if there primed ones, the old ones warp when being taken off,

hth

jake
ps were rochdale

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
we'd charge £40 for the front and £40 for the rear, thats primed smoothed and painted factory colour,

we charge £40 for door moldings if there primed ones, the old ones warp when being taken off,

hth

jake
ps were rochdale

Thanks Jake... are you able to spray existing door mouldings on the car rather than remove?

Rochdale is only down the road from me...

Be warned though - my standards are VERY high... I'm a Pro Detailer :whistle:

Jan 11, 2009
bstoke
Ok I take it back adam :) . Mr OCD I think we all understand that u want the best for the car for the least amount of money as we all do, mite be an idea just to take in what peeps r saying as I kinda get the feeling that u have made your mind up before even posting the thread.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
If your standards are VERY high like you say you'll want to be buying new primed moldings :)

At well over £250 for new door moldings, bumper moldings plus paint its not exactly a sensible option to buy new primed moldings... all to colour code a little trim :)

my standards are high too, so we dont paint moldings still stuck on doors, lol

jake

Fair enough but I've not come across a bodyshop that meets my standards either regardless of cost as sad as that may seem!

Ok I take it back adam :) . Mr OCD I think we all understand that u want the best for the car for the least amount of money as we all do, mite be an idea just to take in what peeps r saying as I kinda get the feeling that u have made your mind up before even posting the thread.

Not at all... open to suggestions but I'm not prepared to pay nearly £400 to paint a few plastic bumper and door moulds... I dont think anyone would imho.

it's posts like these that makes me wish all forums had a 'like' button like facebook!

lol :D

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Well you can't really expect to cut corners by not buying the correct parts then expect them to be prerfect..........just my opinion.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Well you can't really expect to cut corners by not buying the correct parts then expect them to be prerfect..........just my opinion.

I'd agree with most things mate but seriously a bit of plastic that can easily be smoothed and painted? ;)

I'm all for doing the job properly ... but I'm sure any decent bodyshop could do a relatively simple job?

Heck I might just get a spare set second hand and smooth and prime myself :)

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Yeah I agree it can be done....but it will not be 100%

As you said you were very fussy I just presumed you'd want to do it properly.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise