Comparisons for LCR brake discs

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Well, set ups I've had and how I rate them.

Initially I had the 323mm OEM Brembo discs and pads, this was a very good system but had its weaknesses when pushing on with very noticable fade.
Then I got the 323mm Brembo Drilled discs and OEM pads, these were better with fade than the OEM discs and never cracked.
Then I had an unknown 323mm disc with Pagid fast road pads, these were probably as good as the OEM set up with a little less fade.
Then due to this forum I bought the 323mm EBC Ultimax discs and DS2500 pads, these were blown up to be an awesome set up with people saying things like 'I've been getting whiplash from this set up' and 'bashed my head off the windscreen a few time with this set up'. So I was expecting something amazing. These never lived up to the hype they were given on here. I did like the set up, it looked good and stopped very well.

Now I have the Badger 5 2 piece 330mm rotors with light weight bells and DS2500 pads. This was only fitted the other day so do't have a huge amount to say about this set up yet. Unfortuneately due to a machineists mistakes I ended up with rotors that have the grooves facing away from the pads (the ones facing toward the pads will have more bite). Anyway, the first few times I stopped with this set up it was obvious that this was a very different kettle of fish to every other set up I have had. These initially were £650 but when replacing these once worn I will only have to buy the bolts and rotors so approx £300 for the two rotors.
When I tryed to bed these brakes in as per the DS2500 guide lines I was loosing traction with my winter tyres. so these were removed and my OEM LCR alloys with 225-40-18 Good Year Eagle F1 Asymmetrics were fitted. The rear were new and the fronts have about 6mm of tread left on them.
So back to the bedding in process again, this time a much better grip and boy do these things stop you. When speaking to the other guys who have this set up fitted before I got mine they were saying that you have to check your rear view mirror before brking hard and they weren't wrong. The tyres have managed to almost completely grip to allow the brakes to do there job but the suspension is now the weak link.
I'm getting quite serious nose dive but little or no squirming.
I have not fully bedded in this system yet so there is still a good bit of potential there so I will hold off in getting some fact and figures down on paper about stopping distances yet.
The brakes on the LCR is a vastly overlooked part. These Brembo Callipers are awesome when paired with the right discs and pads combo. I will be buying DS3000 for track days as I think to run DS2500 will be underselling this set ups true track potential.

I have had these different discs weighed.

The OEM Brembo 1 piece discs are 9.1 Kgs
The EBC Ultimax 1 piece discs were 8.6 Kgs (my old worn ones, would expect the new ones to be around 9 Kgs)
The 2 piece rotors made up with bolts to the bells are 6.1 Kgs

Anyone that knows about unsprung mass will see that this is a valueable weight saving. this will give better braking, handling and acceleration. Couple this with lighter alloys and light weight fly wheel and you should feel a difference and see this in better drag times and lap times.

I have read lots of posts about people on here wanting to 'upgrade' from the OEM set up. The only thing that needs upgrading about the OEM set up for day to day driving is have the Brembo discs grooved, fit DS2500 pads and better higher grade brake fluid.
IMO the EBC/CR discs are not an upgrade, they are a cheaper option that is okay, nothing more.
More people should take to opertunity to enhance the stopping potential of the LCR set up. You won't beat an EVO/Scooby on the twisties with the OEM suspension but with a 2 piece discs set up you will outbrake almost everything in the corners and that worth more than an extra 30 BHP to me.

This is not ment to be an advert for anyone or to slag off peoples set ups and thoughts. This is how I see it and many will not agree. Hopefully some people will help me and themselves out but joining in with this link below, no one has so far.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=202447&highlight=brake+set+test

AusCupra

Sep 22, 2008
Wexford
Top write up there! I have to agree with you on this matter!

As someone who's worked in Motorsport a long time, there are reason's why companies in racing and rallying use what they do!

Brembo spend millions on development and motorsport! Why change something that works! as for the floating rotors! I've driven countless Subaru's with standard Brembos (disc's and pads) as well as most options EBC, Ferrodo, Tarox, even cars with other larger calipers and discs!

Nothing outside say an AP setup works as well as a set of Brembos with Performance Friction floating discs and fast road pads!! Quality speaks for itself! Yes you pay more but again you pay for what you get!

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Theres an old saying about brakes but I cant remember it so heres my version :D

A good set of uprated brakes will gain you X secs per lap.
To get X secs a lap with an in increase in power will cost much more.
I'm sure you get the drift.

steve_p

Genesis Nut
May 3, 2008
Love the Badger 2 piece set up. :clap: :worship: If I ever get time, I'll log the stopping time from a range of speeds with my Vag-Com and post it up in the right thread.
Good to hear that you are loving them already JS. :funk:

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site
Totall agree with Juniors post.
I love my 330mm setup, for those that want pics (though not brilliant ones!) :

Original

223_1.jpg

330mm

Leonbrakes.jpg

330_1.jpg

300_2.jpg

Nev_LCR

Gone... but not forgoten
May 16, 2007
Ipswich, Suffolk
id still want to know what discs they are though, i know bill wont say. but im just interested as i like to research a product before i buy, and as its £600 i would need to know.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
The 330x28 2-piece kit i choose to sell is the exact same rotor/bell as I race on with my ibiza so I know they work very well even under extreme duress.

I used to use AP rotors but had 2 sets crack on me after an unacceptable level of use ( 6 races on 1st set, 2 races on 2nd set... but got a season and a half out of the ones i now choose to use - they were also just over 1/2 price to AP's which was a bargain relatively.)

bedding in is important to heat cycle them. other than that, use appropriate pads and fluid and you will stop very well. DS3000's for track use imho and motul rbf brake fluid. duct air to them also... they will run very very hot on track. think melting cv gaiters hot and melted valve caps on wheels.. all personally experienced when I ran these on my 390bhp mk4 golf.

enjoy them. i like em, else i would'nt race on them

:thumbup:

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Bill, If I use both DS2500 and DS300's on the same discs will this be okay?
I presume these are similar pad compounds so should be okay

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The 330x28 2-piece kit i choose to sell is the exact same rotor/bell as I race on with my ibiza so I know they work very well even under extreme duress.

I used to use AP rotors but had 2 sets crack on me after an unacceptable level of use ( 6 races on 1st set, 2 races on 2nd set... but got a season and a half out of the ones i now choose to use - they were also just over 1/2 price to AP's which was a bargain relatively.)

bedding in is important to heat cycle them. other than that, use appropriate pads and fluid and you will stop very well. DS3000's for track use imho and motul rbf brake fluid. duct air to them also... they will run very very hot on track. think melting cv gaiters hot and melted valve caps on wheels.. all personally experienced when I ran these on my 390bhp mk4 golf.

enjoy them. i like em, else i would'nt race on them

:thumbup:
Heat cycling has started, it's not easy bedding in these discs, the stopping power is almost too good:)
Good to hear your using these in race situations with good results.
Are you running the LCR Brembo's too?

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Ive heard from a guy that runs a time attack skyline that the DS3000 pads eat discs for breakfast

Hes gonna use carbonio ones now I think there called

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Heat cycling has started, it's not easy bedding in these discs, the stopping power is almost too good:)
Good to hear your using these in race situations with good results.
Are you running the LCR Brembo's too?

no I run AP CP5000 4pots on the ibiza. no dust seals to melt. I melted the brembo dust seals and they were too chunky a caliper for when i used to run 315mm 2-piece disks under 15" rims.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
Ive heard from a guy that runs a time attack skyline that the DS3000 pads eat discs for breakfast

Hes gonna use carbonio ones now I think there called

Quite the opposite for me. I use DS3000's as they DONT EAT DISKS at all compared to carbon metallic type pads. Disk friendly pads in my experience hence using them as well as their stopping power.

ibizacupra

Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
not looked at mk2 cupra yet.. 345mm as std?
you think there would be a market for 355mm for mk2 cupra?

Same pads as 312mm caliper cars I believe, so DS2500/DS3000 are available

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Think they are 344mm as stock mate.

I am sure 355mm might work for those looking to upgrade. Quite a few of the earlier cars are getting to the point where they are gonna need discs soon, so it would be good to have options :)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
The MK2 Cupra discs are 344.5mm x 30mm. I've had a good look about and canna find these.

Allen, the cars few brilliant now with these brakes and the uprated ARB. I had Craig out in it and he was WELL impressed with both

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.