coolant being blown out of expansion tank = my coolant loss

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
Been trying to find the cause of lost coolant for 2 months now since i got a tdi sport.

Firstly the w/pump and cambelt were done to see if it was leaking, then numerous flushes etc.

I then today placed a bag on the overflow of the coolant reservoir and drove the 10 mins trip to work with the temp on 90 like normal. Got to work and the bag was full of coolant. Should have done this first rather than get the car serviced, has cv joints done, new tyres all round, cambelt and pump change etc. :(

Surely this is a blown gasket and it's displacing the coolant and blowing it out of the overflow? I have no idea what else it could be now. It seems to be my only symptom but any tests to find out for sure if it's the hg?

Thanks

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
If its an ibiza tdi sport 130 (which shares the same engine as the Fabia VRS) we had a customer who constantly complained of coolant loss for over 6 months yet everytime we tested it there was never any loss however on one visit we noticed dried coolant crystals on the underside of the o/s/f arch so we suggested we changed the header tank, we did so and the car has since stopped loosing coolant.

platofan

Oct 12, 2009
It is but surely if when the revs rise the water level rises, it's going to be thrown out of the overflow isn't it? I've watched it when i've given it revs. :(

Garage won't touch it, they say the head and block could be warped but would this happen from just exhaust gasses passing into the coolant system? It hasn't really overheated as far as I know.

:)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members