Coolant capacity...

• Thread starter Deleted member 120738
  • Start date

Deleted member 120738

Can anyone tell me the coolant capacity for my FR Black 1.2 TSi and how one drains the cooling system?

andycupra

status subject to change
often on VAG cars there is a drain tap at the bottom of the radiator on the pipework joint.
No tools required, if there is one you will see an outlet, its a case of pulling/twisting the tap to drain. (with coolant expansion tank lid off).

Once emptied remember to do the tap back up!
Then to refill simply fill via the coolant expansion tank, best to 'Pre-mix' the coolant to get the right mixture. as for qty, expect around 4 - 4.5 ltires if FULLY drained, but some see only 3 litres as sometimes its not so easy to fully drain depending if you clear out the heater matrix etc.
then when it stops taking in any more coolant, leave top off and start car, monitor the level it will likely drop and keep filling to maintain the level. they tend to be self purging systems so leaving it running will purge the air out, you will need to leave it ticking over till its at operating temperature so the thermostat is fully open and you get good circulation.
Once done, turn car off and allow to cool. BUT leave expansion tank lid on but not done up. this will allow the pressures to settle as the car cools, the level will likely drop a bit when you return to it after cooling, top up. then do lid up. Then keep monitoring over next few days in case any last bits of air work there way out.

*edit* when refilling and circulating, have the heaters on. not 100% sure this is required but this at least confirms the whole system is open and circulating.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Maybe a stupid question, but why do you want to replace the coolant, if it is the factory filled coolant it lasts a very long time, I have a February 2011 Audi S4 and I've tested its coolant for ph value and freezing point, and it is well within acceptable levels - or is it you that bought a used car with a slightly different coolant colour than expected?
I'd expect that on that car, you will need to remove the bottom hose and catch the escaping coolant mix, in theory you should not just dump this down the toilet, but find somewhere else who can dispose of it!

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Then keep monitoring over next few days in case any last bits of air work there way out.

Just to add, I don't do many miles. And after draining the system and refilling, I had to top it up every other day for the following week. I was actually in tears because I thought I had a leak. But then it stopped losing and all was well. I was just surprised how many journeys it took to get all the air out. However, we did have a change in temperature in the middle so I may have had the heating back on again.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Some of these VW Group engines are pigs to get rid of trapped air, the old 1.4 16V required you to remove the engine coolant sensor prior to refilling, I found that out after a few days of getting cabin heat, then no heat after replacing a suspect engine coolant sensor as I spent too long retrieving the original O-ring seal before fitting the new sensor with seal - so it run the coolant level too low!

Edit:- Audis, at least, tend to have a bleed hole in a few of the pipe stubs and the plan is to fill the system up, ease each pipe back off its stub until the bleed hole is exposed then wait until bubble free coolant emerges then push back on.

Reactions: Legojon

Deleted member 120738

Maybe a stupid question, but why do you want to replace the coolant, if it is the factory filled coolant it lasts a very long time, I have a February 2011 Audi S4 and I've tested its coolant for ph value and freezing point, and it is well within acceptable levels - or is it you that bought a used car with a slightly different coolant colour than expected?
I'd expect that on that car, you will need to remove the bottom hose and catch the escaping coolant mix, in theory you should not just dump this down the toilet, but find somewhere else who can dispose of it!

I was checking underneath the bonnet at the weekend and the coolant was a colour which I would describe as coral pink in colour, although the expansion tank is marked G13. My step-daughter came round later in her new Arona and the coolant was a violet -pink colour, and she said said the coolant in ours was the same colour as her old Cordoba (2002 MY). Checked online and in the owners manual and our car (2015 MY) should be G13 which is purple in colour when concentrated and has been the correct specification since 2008......

everson38

May 15, 2017
walsall
Some of these VW Group engines are pigs to get rid of trapped air, the old 1.4 16V required you to remove the engine coolant sensor prior to refilling, I found that out after a few days of getting cabin heat, then no heat after replacing a suspect engine coolant sensor as I spent too long retrieving the original O-ring seal before fitting the new sensor with seal - so it run the coolant level too low!

Edit:- Audis, at least, tend to have a bleed hole in a few of the pipe stubs and the plan is to fill the system up, ease each pipe back off its stub until the bleed hole is exposed then wait until bubble free coolant emerges then push back on.
Think it's because he thinks the wrong coolant is in the heating system.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise