Correct Diameter size for Shocks?

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Hi there,

I am just about to get some Koni FSDs for my 2.0 TDI Ref Sport and was wondering if anyone knew what the diameter was? I was speakng to Andy from Awesome today and he said that you can get a 55 mm and a 50 mm kit for the Leon 1P.
I am going to check this in the morning (if the snow clears) but was wondering if anyone knew off hand? (I did do the search but it only showed that the FR TDI had 55 mm)
Thanks
Alex

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
i would suspect it would be 55mm because you have a heavy TDi block up front. Thats my guess. Getting 55mm struts up front for KW v1's tomorrow.

Nice one mate. I take it you are getting Star do to the work for you?
I spoke to Andy at Awesome and he said that he was 99% sure that it was 55mm struts up front but would like me to check for sure.
Guess I will need to get the torch out and check tomorrow (prob need to clean the wheel arches and the shocks whilst I am at it so that I can read them!! :D)

Just for future reference here is Andy's post on how to find out:

The best way to check is to look on your standard struts and find the part number sticker on them. if they start "1k0" then they are the 50mm, if it starts "1T0" then they are the 55mm struts.

Alex

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
yeah getting Star performance to do the work. Also getting measurements to make see if i need spacers to fit 6-pot tarox brakes while I'm there. Should be fun after the suspension gets sorted tho. Also getting eibach ABRs so should corner flatter.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I beleive all but the very earliest models were 55mm. mines 55mm and mines pretty old now.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
you wanted pics :)

Here's a before KW look:
12102008120.jpg

Here's after todays fitting (lowered 40mm):
20012009161.jpg

20012009164.jpg

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
20012009162.jpg

here are some under wheel arch pics:
Front
20012009166.jpg

Rear
20012009167.jpg

hope this gives you some ideas and helps u decide on what you want.

So far the ride is a little more give, less of the crashy feel when going over bumps and potholes, generally more comfy(surprising for lower setup). Less wheelspin on hard acceleration (especially second gear). If it does wheelspin, there is a lot less of the juddering that happens when you wheelspin under acceleration, sharper braking probably because there is less dive under braking. Going back next week after the springs settle down a bit. might need to lift it about 5mm.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Nice pics mate. Looks quite low to me did you ask for it to be set that low?
I am going to go for the Eibach Pro Springs and the Koni FSD combo. Should lower it nicely without it being too low.
Alex

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
yeah, did ask for it to b low, but maybe not THAT low. but it does make the car look a lot better. will see how it goes then back for minor adjustments and raising if i want next week once things settle down. they reduced the rear camber slightly to lower tyre wear and road noise. the tyre noise is a little better on motorway. Had a little chuck around this evening and definitely a lot better. Koni FSD's will be more comfortable, but i was worried about them corroding later on, whereas KW v1's are INOX stainless steel.

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
yeah, did ask for it to b low, but maybe not THAT low. but it does make the car look a lot better. will see how it goes then back for minor adjustments and raising if i want next week once things settle down. they reduced the rear camber slightly to lower tyre wear and road noise. the tyre noise is a little better on motorway. Had a little chuck around this evening and definitely a lot better. Koni FSD's will be more comfortable, but i was worried about them corroding later on, whereas KW v1's are INOX stainless steel.

I see. Not heard anything bad about the Koni's so am going to go with them.
Alex

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
no matter what setup you go for, the cars stance, ride and handling will be vastly improved. Once you go low, there's not turning back. One thing i can say tho, is your going to love your car even more after you upgrade the suspension :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.