correct tightness or torque (wheel bolts)

Xe

Does anyone know what the correct tightness or torque is for the wheel bolts on the Leon?

danw

dont know what seat say, but as a general rule most cars are about 110 - 120nm this should be fine

BeezerDiesel

Minus a Diesel Beezer
Aug 3, 2002
Exeter
Visit site
I know from a recent thread elsewhere it's 120nm on a mk5 Golf so that'll be the same setting for the Leon.
Like Tam, I just do it up until it's tight and check them once in a while.....

Xe

Thanks for the replies guys ;)

Also beware not to over tighten wheel bolts as they can snap off!! But this is normally done by a pneumatic tool with the torque setting not set right.

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
RTFM! ;)

Its 120nm. And you shouldn't 'guess' it as overtightening can be just as bad as not tightening them enough - metal fatigue (in the bolt), damage to the wheel by creating high stress points and stripping the thread in the hub...

And as for impact wrenches - if you see a tyre fitter heading towards your locking nut with one of them punch him immediately. Very hard.

One Spanner Monkey destroyed my locking nut (albeit a different design) on my MGF years ago and didn't bother telling me. I found out when I was descending Hardknott Pass in the Lake District and clipped a rock puncturing the sidewall of the tyre. Words could not describe my thoughts of what I would do to said Spanner Monkey when I discovered what he had done... Rest assured it did involve his impact wrench...

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise