Crackling Speakers

Aug 9, 2022
My back right speaker was intermittently crackling. Now it’s given up the ghost and is just giving off a static noise. I’ve switched the back speakers and that didn’t solve it. Now the drivers front speaker is intermittently not working. All cables in both doors are fine. The aerial cables are fine under the boot trim. Any ideas troops?

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
My back right speaker was intermittently crackling. Now it’s given up the ghost and is just giving off a static noise. I’ve switched the back speakers and that didn’t solve it. Now the drivers front speaker is intermittently not working. All cables in both doors are fine. The aerial cables are fine under the boot trim. Any ideas troops?
What year car and what version of infotainment? I seem to remember that some systems suffered a problem with the circuit boards causing speaker crackles and failure.

Aug 9, 2022
Head unit and wiring ✅
Front and rear door speakers and wiring ✅
CD player and wiring ✅
Boot aerial and wiring ✅
B pillar wiring ✅

I’m getting static and the occasional crackle so there’s definitely power getting to it but no audio signal 🤷🏻‍♂️

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Head unit and wiring ✅
Front and rear door speakers and wiring ✅
CD player and wiring ✅
Boot aerial and wiring ✅
B pillar wiring ✅

I’m getting static and the occasional crackle so there’s definitely power getting to it but no audio signal 🤷🏻‍♂️
It does sound like there is an internal fault, you could try swapping the speaker output wires on the back of the unit, say the RHR with the LHR.
Also does the balance/fader work correctly, apart from the faulty speaker(s).
How long has the fault been there?

Aug 9, 2022
It does sound like there is an internal fault, you could try swapping the speaker output wires on the back of the unit, say the RHR with the LHR.
Also does the balance/fader work correctly, apart from the faulty speaker(s).
How long has the fault been there?
Yeah fader is fine. Been there for maybe 6 months. Crackling went away. Only the other night when I was checking it all did I notice the back speaker didn’t work. Strangely enough tonight on the way home everything worked fine!! Where is the amp on the car? I’ve heard that might be causing my issues.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
The amp is built in to the glove box unit.
If you can get someone with VCDS or maybe OBDeleven to scan the 5f module it should give relevant fault codes.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members