creak from under the bonnet

flashbsd

Hi guys,

noticed earlier, when depressing the clutch pedal, theres a loud creak coming from the engine bay, so loud i can hear it inside ! but louder when windows are down.

At first i tohught nothing of it, but now its squeaking too :(

any ideas what it could be? sensible suggestions plz ;)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I too have got this problem and posted it on here, but as yet not really got any definite answer as to what it could be, most people seem to centre around the clutch weld as the reason for it. Does your clutch feel a bit clunky? and is there any play in the clutch? mine has about 2-3 inches of no resistance right at the top and feels a bit ropey in operation.

tbc

May 9, 2005
Mine's just started doing the same thing, it's so ****ing weird!

Cold weather problem?

Mine's going to the garage tomorrow, I'll let you know what they say/how much it sets me back

flashbsd

yeah i have no resistance at the top, it sits below the brake pedal height wise.

I don't quite know what you mean by clunky, it feels awkward, but could be because the clip broke and the plate has been rewelded and its been like this ever since :)

I had a brake fluid change done to see if it wasnt bleeded properly, that didnt solve anything.

Biting point wise, still disengages gears for a good 5cm when fully pressed in, put it in 4th last night and let the clutch stall it to check if the clutch is ok. (trade past :))

flashbsd

tbc we have cupra's, i assume you don't have a cylinder clutch set-up, surely you have a cable? :)

I've only noticed it now its cold, but that could be co-incidence.

can slightyl feel it thorugh the pedal also :(

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
flashbsd said:
tbc we have cupra's, i assume you don't have a cylinder clutch set-up, surely you have a cable? :)

I've only noticed it now its cold, but that could be co-incidence.

can slightyl feel it thorugh the pedal also :(

Should have said I have a 1.4 too unfortunately.

flashbsd

oh.. im not sure, but i think its a bit harder to stop a creak on a hydraulic clutch than cables :(

Im thinking the slave cylinder is on its way out, but thats a pain in the $$$$ to get to.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I had the clutch cable replaced on mine not too long ago, but it didn't make too much difference, seemed to be okay for a short while then reverted back to being shocking again :(

tbc

May 9, 2005
I just had a new clutch, cable and clutch plate put in, the creaking has stopped and the pedal feels a lot lighter, it's mint.

According to the mechanic the creaking itself was the clutch bracket, but knowing f-all about cars I don't know if yours will have that, or if that could be what's up with yours

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Thanks for the info mate, just outta interest how much did this set you back? I have just started a new job so I have a bit of a cash flow problem at the moment, so im curious as to how much im gunna need to sort this out. I have a few other things I need to get done too but this is quite high up on my list of things to do. Cheers

tbc

May 9, 2005
Crafoo said:
Thanks for the info mate, just outta interest how much did this set you back? I have just started a new job so I have a bit of a cash flow problem at the moment, so im curious as to how much im gunna need to sort this out. I have a few other things I need to get done too but this is quite high up on my list of things to do. Cheers

£437 :(

It is so much better now though, it feels like a different car.

Is your clutch dead stiff at the moment?

If not it might just be the clutch bracket. Or something like that's what the mechanic said :shrug:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Yeah it is a bit, just feels like it could go at any time. Did you get it done at the dealers or at a random garage? I was expecting it to be about £400 after seeing the prices on the price list when i last got mine serviced, better get saving then.

flashbsd

doubt mines the clutch, ill live with it see if anything worse comes of it, doesn't get driven much, furthest it gets is to the local SCN meet :) so might just need a good drive

tbc

May 9, 2005
Crafoo said:
Yeah it is a bit, just feels like it could go at any time. Did you get it done at the dealers or at a random garage? I was expecting it to be about £400 after seeing the prices on the price list when i last got mine serviced, better get saving then.

I got it done at IMG Seat in Warrington, the price seemed a bit steep but I think it's about right for the work that went into it. £65 an hour is mental for labour though.

And they gave my car a proper good clean as well, never seen the wheels so shiny

tbc

May 9, 2005
flashbsd said:
doubt mines the clutch, ill live with it see if anything worse comes of it, doesn't get driven much, furthest it gets is to the local SCN meet :) so might just need a good drive

Fair enough, but you could always just go to the garage and ask them to diagnose it, and say you're looking at getting it fixed up sometime soon. They shouldn't charge you for a quick drive with a mechanic

flashbsd

thats true :) ill go down my mates garage and see ;)

not been to a stealer since they chipped the paintwork and said it was there before they got it. :w4nk:

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
tbc said:
I got it done at IMG Seat in Warrington, the price seemed a bit steep but I think it's about right for the work that went into it. £65 an hour is mental for labour though.

And they gave my car a proper good clean as well, never seen the wheels so shiny

Cool, thanks for the info mate, at least I have a rough idea of what im looking at in a worst case scenario, I can see me getting the whole thing done instead of bits and bats. Labour is always extortionate at a dealers I don't know how they have the cheek to charge so much [:@]

scrob

M3 Driver
I was speaking to a Seat mechanic, and he said pedal boxes in Ibiza's are prone to wear an tear and need replacing on occasions! He said there can be a little movement in the box itself, and the mounts give way and it in effect "falls out".

And yes, this is different to the little weld breaking on the pedal, I can assure you.

Quite a likely possibility for the creaking noise and clunky clutch operation.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members