cupra 16v gear cable linkage advice

chris_cupra16v

hey there, just purchased a ibiza cupra 16v for good money only problem is one of the gear linkage cables have gone (cant select gears). Now im pretty fortunate that i work in a vw/audi breakers but without inspecting myself yet due to having no time to strip it down, i was wondering if a gear cable of a mk3 golf 16v or another model would fit?? Thanks in advance to anyone that can shed some light!

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
not sure think a golf one should fit. just be aware there are 2 completly different set ups. one set up at the gearbox end the cables run next to each other.
The other one they run one above one underneath, i fitted the wrong one when doing a G60 conversion and couldnt get Reverse or 1st ect. just like 3rd and 5th.

chris_cupra16v

ahh cool, i probably would of missed that. anyone changed one of these before? any advice to offer?

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
you can adjust them at the gearbox end, theres a nut that unscrews and allows you to adjust the cable placing... when swapping the box on mine and my mates cars, adjusting this makes it select better... worth a try anyway for 5 minutes

Amd often comes loose, I had realy bad 3th gear selections out at combe before and the throw weight was almost off with the little square bolt just holding on for it's dear life.

crossedmike

they take the pee to adjust correctly and they run side by side my 5th is till hard to get to lol

chris_cupra16v

had a quick check this morning, seems iv got the vertical cable not the side by side setup. trip to dealer i think, weve got non at work....... ah well

chris_cupra16v

also was wondering if it was a previous member car off here, its had a lot of time spent on it (possible enthusiast) anyway its volcano red, lowered 40mm on bilsteins, powdercoated black ronals, cammed according to last owner (anyway to check??) ringing any bells anyone?lol ill post pics up when i can.

crossedmike

is your set up one to gear link station then one to the actual gear pulling ron lol sorry for simple terms haha if so when you chnage mark where yours was placed as something chnaging them can be a right pain to re align as i say its all trial and error : (

crossedmike

it will be a buggert to get a set as well took me 4 weeks from a dealer because they ordered them from german but independant garages maybe ablt to source a set faster because they car more about business lol i think they 125 a piece i think i paid 250 for a set includfing fitting

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
if you get hold of the set up, i need the one of the clips that holdes the cables into the bracket, (the ones that stop the cables being pulled through)

its currently bodged lol

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.