Cupra 280 Intake

wms_F1

Jul 10, 2018
Hi All

I am now been a proud owner of my Leon Cupra ST 280 for a few months. I love the car, apart from how quiet it is! So I have been trawling through the forum and internet looking at options to get some more noise out of it. I have looked at exhausts, but personally I prefer intake/induction noise, so looking first at changing the intake system for an aftermarket one.

As we all know there are a couple of options, from closed systems to open systems, from a wide range of suppliers. If I was chasing big power I wouldnt hesitate and get a closed system, probably the Racingline R600. However the current goal is more noise, and subsequently the car may be remapped, so whatever intake I get will need to support a remap. From what I read online most people say there isnt much noise from the R600 from inside the car when driving? Is this correct??

This is why I have been looking at the open system. I am fully aware of all the pros and cons of open and closed systems, but living on Anglesey where traffic is low and open roads are plenty, Im not bothered by heat soak! My current shortlist is:

Racingline Cup Intake System
Revo Air Intake System
IE Intake System

Which one would you guys recommend? Any others I've missed that gets the nod??

Thanks

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I've got a RamAir open induction. I think they are quite popular across the EA888 platform. I love it... I love the recirculation whoosh when you lift off the throttle. Hours of fun

Reactions: wms_F1

wms_F1

Jul 10, 2018
Thanks Blowski - Hadnt seen the RamAir system - Will go have a google later.

Thanks for the offer Paddy - have sent you a message.

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Can someone explain what the induction kit is and what the benefits are please? I’ve googled it before but still don’t really understand what they do. Is it simply to let more air into the engine or is that something else I’m thinking of?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Also is it worth getting on my Cupra 300 manual and will it affect the engine warranty or anything like that as my car is on PCP. Thanks in advance

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Can someone explain what the induction kit is and what the benefits are please? I’ve googled it before but still don’t really understand what they do. Is it simply to let more air into the engine or is that something else I’m thinking of?

Factory air intakes need to blend noise, efficiency, performance etc and therefore are generally restricted in the amount of air they allow through to the turbo inlet. They do this by the cold air feed, shape of the air box and filter, jagged intake hose etc. This all creates turbulent air restricting performance and noise.

An induction kit will un-restrict all of this by using smooth intake hoses, open air boxes or closed boxes with less restrictive space inside allowing more and smoother air to be sucked into the turbo, Hence the sucking noise you hear from cars with induction kits. More air in means more compressed air out and generally increases bhp by a small amount. maybe 6-8 bhp

Also is it worth getting on my Cupra 300 manual and will it affect the engine warranty or anything like that as my car is on PCP. Thanks in advance

Induction kits are generally bolt on/ bolt off using the factory fixing points so shouldn't effect warranty unless the claim is something specific to do with induction. You modify, you take your risk's however.

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
Factory air intakes need to blend noise, efficiency, performance etc and therefore are generally restricted in the amount of air they allow through to the turbo inlet. They do this by the cold air feed, shape of the air box and filter, jagged intake hose etc. This all creates turbulent air restricting performance and noise.

An induction kit will un-restrict all of this by using smooth intake hoses, open air boxes or closed boxes with less restrictive space inside allowing more and smoother air to be sucked into the turbo, Hence the sucking noise you hear from cars with induction kits. More air in means more compressed air out and generally increases bhp by a small amount. maybe 6-8 bhp

Induction kits are generally bolt on/ bolt off using the factory fixing points so shouldn't effect warranty unless the claim is something specific to do with induction. You modify, you take your risk's however.

Thanks for the reply, explained very well so is the whoosh noise only when you initially accelerate or is it every time your accelerator pedal is depressed? Not a huge fan of that noise though as I’ve just seen a few videos!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Thanks for the reply, explained very well so is the whoosh noise only when you initially accelerate or is it every time your accelerator pedal is depressed? Not a huge fan of that noise though as I’ve just seen a few videos!

You get the deep induction noise when you accelerate then depending on what one you have you get the whoosh like a dump valve as you let off the throttle and the throttle body closes. There is a lot of compressed air with no where to go, so on my RamAir system that air is directed back to the turbo inlet pipe after the filter. If you have a closed box induction kit the whole process is much quieter I believe and more efficient than an open induction.

The noise is marmite, I like it, I am fully aware that it's childish :yes:

cupra300uk

May 31, 2018
You get the deep induction noise when you accelerate then depending on what one you have you get the whoosh like a dump valve as you let off the throttle and the throttle body closes. There is a lot of compressed air with no where to go, so on my RamAir system that air is directed back to the turbo inlet pipe after the filter. If you have a closed box induction kit the whole process is much quieter I believe and more efficient than an open induction.

The noise is marmite, I like it, I am fully aware that it's childish :yes:

Can you hear it from outside when you’re driving do you know? I’m Assuming you can hear it from inside

Brackett

May 12, 2019
You get the deep induction noise when you accelerate then depending on what one you have you get the whoosh like a dump valve as you let off the throttle and the throttle body closes.
Thought I'd reply to this rather than starting a new thread...

I'm after the first bit (deep induction noise), but NOT the whoosh-like dump valve noise.

Any recommendations that would fit my bill? Even better, any vids to demo the sound? Thanks!

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Hi, any ideas on which intake would suit my needs (as above)? Thanks.

Howdy!

The popular one amongst most drivers who upgrade the intake is the RacingLine R600 - it’s a tad pricey but it does the job and does it very. You won’t get the full benefits unless upgrading the intake hose and turbo elbow too.

If you wanted something a little less expensive, you could look at the VAGSport intake kit which consists of the panel filter, hose and elbow. From this you could look to create the ‘pikey’ R600 mod.

Both of these give performance gains, without the woooosh sound you don’t want. Any closed Airbox upgrade would ensure you don’t get the noise you want to stay away from. However with any intake upgrade, you’ll get more suction noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Thanks Paddy, that's helpful. I did see the price of the R600 mentioned on another post previously, and yes looked expensive!

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
It allows for more airflow as the stock elbow reduces quite a bits - stock on the left and upgraded one on the right:

eb588a60f9a12a79786fe7a2f73542d4.jpg

The upgrades of the hose and elbow are to maximise airflow.

You can get hoses with the elbow built in, such as the forge one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: R45HU

wms_F1

Jul 10, 2018
Just thought Id join in. After my initial post I bought a R600 intake as I was offered a new one cheaper than retail.

In my opinion it is a quality bit of kit, and coupled with the elbow and intake hose the car feels like it pulls stronger, but its minimal and could be placebo.

The biggest downside for me is the lack of noise you get from it. For me there was only a small difference to standard. I was after a more deep induction noise and in that respect would been better off with a open cone induction type like the RamAir or VWR Cup intake.

Reactions: paddy6789

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Just thought Id join in. After my initial post I bought a R600 intake as I was offered a new one cheaper than retail.

In my opinion it is a quality bit of kit, and coupled with the elbow and intake hose the car feels like it pulls stronger, but its minimal and could be placebo.

The biggest downside for me is the lack of noise you get from it. For me there was only a small difference to standard. I was after a more deep induction noise and in that respect would been better off with a open cone induction type like the RamAir or VWR Cup intake.

You could go for the MST replacement filter for R600:

https://mst-performance.co.uk/product/r600-replacement-air-filter/

Not cheap, I know.

Reactions: paddy6789
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.