Cupra 280 Intake

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Just thought Id join in. After my initial post I bought a R600 intake as I was offered a new one cheaper than retail.

In my opinion it is a quality bit of kit, and coupled with the elbow and intake hose the car feels like it pulls stronger, but its minimal and could be placebo.

The biggest downside for me is the lack of noise you get from it. For me there was only a small difference to standard. I was after a more deep induction noise and in that respect would been better off with a open cone induction type like the RamAir or VWR Cup intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah the RacingLine Cup Intake is exactly the same filter as the R600, but one its open rather than closed. Both perform great but in hot conditions and when really pushing the car, the Cup intake will suffer from heat soak and you could get power loss as a result. But the Cup edition will give more noise being an open filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brackett

May 12, 2019
Is the Forge carbon intake kit any good? Can't decide which to go for, I'm only doing it for the increased intake "rumble" really, not so much the performance! (that's a bonus though!!).

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Is the Forge carbon intake kit any good? Can't decide which to go for, I'm only doing it for the increased intake "rumble" really, not so much the performance! (that's a bonus though!!).
I know a few people with it - looks very nice. Quite expensive though If you’re not looking for too much noise and not bothered about performance.

You could do the pikey R600 intake mod. You get that little bit of extra noise with the muffler delete added too. A bit of performance added in too for less than the cost of just a replacement intake without the hoses.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Sounds interesting - how do you do the pikey R600 intake mod?
To do the mod, you'll need a cutting implement (a dremel is probably the best).
First thing is to remove the snow grate which is at the bottom of the airbox - undo the screws holding the lid down, remove the filter and then at the bottom of the box, there is the snow grate. It should just lift out. But if you're heavy hand and impatient such as myself, the fins on the grate will snap.
The next part is the noisy part - you'll need to remove the front air duct of the intake, and cut away on the right side of the duct to open it up. (I have some pictures I'll upload). Using the dremel is easiest as you can cut away and sand it down smooth after. (The red circled area on the picture is what you need to cut. When the intake is out, you'll see what the left side looks like, and you're essentially making the right side look the same).
Once done, you'll need one of these to block off the engine bay side of the intake: https://progressiveparts.com/genuin...ate-for-mqb-platform-2-0tsi-engines-5q0129849 (Second Picture shows it is installed)
Re-install the intake back onto the car and you've essentially turned your airbox into a very cheap 'Pikey' R600.
Most people tend to upgrade the panel filter at the same time, and then the intake hose, turbo elbow and muffler delete. Progressive Parts actually sell the complete kit for £340 (including the blanking plate above): https://progressiveparts.com/vaagsport-high-flow-intake-package-1-8t-2-0t-mqb-ea888-gen-3-engines
So for £340, you get a bit more intake noise, better airflow and better performance as a result.
Stock airbox's with the upgraded filter, hose and elbow have been said to be great up to stage 2. A stock 2016 Cupra 290 ran the pikey R600 mod on the Progressive Parts rolling road day and put out 311 bhp.
If you're local to Preston area, I actually have my stock airbox with the cutout and blanking plate already if you fancied a swap?

85e4607b9753ca711263635adf092430.plist
53fd49acb68d7d7ddbb6a6aedd2bcd65.jpg

Reactions: Chillout and queen

queen

~Nassia~
Nov 29, 2010
Athens, Greece
To do the mod, you'll need a cutting implement (a dremel is probably the best).
First thing is to remove the snow grate which is at the bottom of the airbox - undo the screws holding the lid down, remove the filter and then at the bottom of the box, there is the snow grate. It should just lift out. But if you're heavy hand and impatient such as myself, the fins on the grate will snap.
The next part is the noisy part - you'll need to remove the front air duct of the intake, and cut away on the right side of the duct to open it up. (I have some pictures I'll upload). Using the dremel is easiest as you can cut away and sand it down smooth after. (The red circled area on the picture is what you need to cut. When the intake is out, you'll see what the left side looks like, and you're essentially making the right side look the same).
Once done, you'll need one of these to block off the engine bay side of the intake: https://progressiveparts.com/genuin...ate-for-mqb-platform-2-0tsi-engines-5q0129849 (Second Picture shows it is installed)
Re-install the intake back onto the car and you've essentially turned your airbox into a very cheap 'Pikey' R600.
Most people tend to upgrade the panel filter at the same time, and then the intake hose, turbo elbow and muffler delete. Progressive Parts actually sell the complete kit for £340 (including the blanking plate above): https://progressiveparts.com/vaagsport-high-flow-intake-package-1-8t-2-0t-mqb-ea888-gen-3-engines
So for £340, you get a bit more intake noise, better airflow and better performance as a result.
Stock airbox's with the upgraded filter, hose and elbow have been said to be great up to stage 2. A stock 2016 Cupra 290 ran the pikey R600 mod on the Progressive Parts rolling road day and put out 311 bhp.
If you're local to Preston area, I actually have my stock airbox with the cutout and blanking plate already if you fancied a swap?

85e4607b9753ca711263635adf092430.plist
53fd49acb68d7d7ddbb6a6aedd2bcd65.jpg
This should be a sticky.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.