Cupra 280 REAL Mpg?

Mar 13, 2011
You can choose ECO for the engine and aircon in the individual setting of the driver profile (Cupra button) I set this up for going to work in the built up areas along with sport in the DCC, Cupra for the steering and Cupra for the diff.:D
Yes, think I did spot that and subconsciously ignored it when setting up individual mode. Car spends most of its time in Cupra mode anyway, though I do use individual around town. DCC comfort, engine sport, steering Cupra, diff Cupra. I like the sound best in sport and dampers in comfort.

Will certainly try the eco mode at some point though.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Petrol station again last night, my calculated overall mpg is now 30.5 (fill up to fill up), and trip computer (long term) is showing 31.2, so still within 1 mpg. Best seen on av trip computer was 38, worst (ignoring the start up couple of miles) 25, so still not bad.:)

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
I'm only on my second tank of fuel but so far I am quite surprised at the fuel economy. The long term reading is at 30.8mpg and this tank of fuel, after 60 miles is averaging 35.5mpg. This is normal driving to, I'm not trying to be economical, the performance of the car is being used!

Compare that to my Mk 1 LCR 225 which at best I used to get 23mpg, more often it was around 18-20 mpg. I once really tried to be economical on a motorway journey and only managed 29mpg.

Just out of silliness with the next tank of fuel I may try driving it for economy and see what the car can do! Mind that plan will probably fall flat if any t**t tries to pass me.........:D

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
I'm only on my second tank of fuel but so far I am quite surprised at the fuel economy. The long term reading is at 30.8mpg and this tank of fuel, after 60 miles is averaging 35.5mpg. This is normal driving to, I'm not trying to be economical, the performance of the car is being used!

Compare that to my Mk 1 LCR 225 which at best I used to get 23mpg, more often it was around 18-20 mpg. I once really tried to be economical on a motorway journey and only managed 29mpg.

Just out of silliness with the next tank of fuel I may try driving it for economy and see what the car can do! Mind that plan will probably fall flat if any t**t tries to pass me.........:D

I was going to try that, but on the first morning after fill up, a BMW cut right out in front of me on a "round a bout", and it went right out the window, so good luck in trying.:D

tom81

Jul 21, 2014
Just want to start by saying I would not normally drive like this but..
As a test to see if I could get 40 mpg of of my cupra 280 dsg.
Put it into eco mode and drove the 14ish miles to work being careful with the throttle and not going more than 50ish MPH.
I was amaised when I got to work with a 49.8MPG recorded on the dash (will post the pic if I can work out how).
Shocked.
Will wreck the average tomorrow morning with a 'brisk' drive home.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2011
Trip up to our office in the frozen north today. 200 miles each way, trip back was rather congested traffic wise but I was stunned with the average achieved.

avempg.jpg

That was with adaptive cruise set on 80mph most of the way. A few stretches of 50mph road works on M5 and M6 and a stint clogging it on the M50 to gain some time back. Well impressed with that return (individual mode with engine set on eco, wanted to try it). At one point it was reading over 41mpg after an 8 mile bimble through a 50mph limit. On the same trip I'd have to be really careful to get the mk2 Cupra anywhere close to a 30mpg average. Today, I wasn't taking any special care, just driving with the flow letting the adaptive cruise do its thing. The fuel consumption on this thing is remarkable given the performance on tap.

Adaptive cruise is a superb feature. Really glad I went for that option.

Angelmikey511

Jul 27, 2014
Portsmouth
I travel to plymouth most weeks from Portsmouth. It's a journey that is pretty much 180 miles. Last week I drove really late so the roads were mine most of the way. I drove very sensibly and manged to get 39.2 mpg. Not bad I'd say. On the way back I had a heavy foot so the petrol leds didn't stay high for long.

Chippo

Jan 2, 2008
Cardiff, WALES
Now that some of you have had your cars for a few months what are the mpg returns you are getting around town and on a run. Interested to know as I get my 280 in a couple of weeks after a four month wait.

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
So far, with 500 miles on the clock, I've averaged 29.5 mpg, all urban. Not been out a proper drive yet, due to absolute chaos at work. All change tonight, as off to Glasgow to watch the football.

Will give you an average mpg when I get home. :D

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Long term is showing 34mpg..

I only average 200miles to a tank though the long straights in MK are a playfield at 5am

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Does a remap make a massive difference to economy figures if you're trying to be economical?

I'm seriously hoping for 40mpgs for my daily commute but it takes at least 10,000 miles to properly bed the engine in to allow the economy to improve.

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.