Cupra 280 REAL Mpg?

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Dream on. You've bought the wrong car...

We'll see. You don't even know what my daily commute entails.

42 miles each way of which 39 miles are quiet dual carriageway and the chances of traffic disruption causing a significant drop in economy very small. I rarely see congestion. I'd be willing to bet a 60mph cruise may well return 40mpgs+ once the engine has a few thousand miles under its belt.

I'll enjoy it properly too and be happy to accept a lot less when I choose.

More Simonali positivity. Thanks for your input ;-)

Last edited:

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Trip up to our office in the frozen north today. 200 miles each way, trip back was rather congested traffic wise but I was stunned with the average achieved.

avempg.jpg

That was with adaptive cruise set on 80mph most of the way. A few stretches of 50mph road works on M5 and M6 and a stint clogging it on the M50 to gain some time back. Well impressed with that return (individual mode with engine set on eco, wanted to try it). At one point it was reading over 41mpg after an 8 mile bimble through a 50mph limit. On the same trip I'd have to be really careful to get the mk2 Cupra anywhere close to a 30mpg average. Today, I wasn't taking any special care, just driving with the flow letting the adaptive cruise do its thing. The fuel consumption on this thing is remarkable given the performance on tap.

Adaptive cruise is a superb feature. Really glad I went for that option.

That's pretty impressive. How many miles has your car done?

Mar 13, 2011
That's pretty impressive. How many miles has your car done?
Now, about 3.5k ish. When I posted that, not sure, but a lot less. To be honest I don't even look at fuel economy and just enjoy the car. I've never got close to that kind of average since that trip and it doesn't bother me.

On a run you can get decent(ish) mpg, but in everyday use you can forget it. Let the car do its thing and fill it full of tesco momentum when required. Smile, open your wallet and enjoy. Life's too short to worry about fuel consumption.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

forge197

SE>FR>CUPRA
May 14, 2002
UK
Visit site
I get about 13mpg on track, 25mpg when I use it for around town and high 30's on a motorway run.

I didn't buy it for economy but the above is respectable for the performance.

Riggsy77

Sep 7, 2014
La Linea, Spain
Mpg

In 5000 km I have avaraged 23mpg. The best I have git is 29mpg on a 400 km trip mainly motorway . Sorry about imperal and mectric but I live in Spain and still can't get my head around litres per 100km.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Current R does 280-300 per tank, mix of GF's commute and weekend blats. Not expecting MK3 to be any better. If I was worried about mpg I'd buy a moped. And wear a hair shirt. And eat lentils. And hug trees.
Or get a donkey.

Last edited:

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
Got 39.5mpg going to Glasgow tonight. Only got 24mpg coming back as the roads were empty :lol:

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
2000 plus miles and overall 29.9 on computer (act 29.5 on fill up to fill up) I drive only 8.5 miles to work so don't do many longer trips, but have had 40 on journeys thru to Glasgow (50m), I press the gas pedal and Cupra button too much, but it is a hot hatch, I didn't buy it for mpg.:D

schofier

Aug 16, 2014
Southampton
So I too will be moving from a Mk V Golf GTI (DSG) to a 280 (Manual). I was hoping for a little improvement in MPG and a noticeable improvement in performance. I'd be interested in your comparison of the two.

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden
So I too will be moving from a Mk V Golf GTI (DSG) to a 280 (Manual). I was hoping for a little improvement in MPG and a noticeable improvement in performance. I'd be interested in your comparison of the two.

Massive improvement in performance and handling. To get similar mpg for 80 more horses is pretty dam good in my opinion.

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Collected mine this morning. Love it.

37mpgs from broker to home mix of motorway, a roads.

I'm confident of 40+ once the engines properly bedded in.

Car is epic!! Photo is crap!!!

1F753ED5-822F-4C33-B28B-27123E35149D_zps95o6dzkl.jpg

Last edited:

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Yep. Genuinely averaged about70mph. Bit of 60, 65 & 75 mph cruising periods too and a couple of "Cupra" accelerations!!!

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Really can't see any point in buying a car like this with the main consideration being good fuel consumption. If you're driving a Cupra carefully enough to get almost 40 mpg out of it (I still maintain 40 is pie in the sky) then you may as well buy the 1.2 version. That ain't negativity, it's common sense!

Mattias

Apr 9, 2014
Sweden
I drive almost 19000 miles a year. And i wanted a fast car on weekends and a car that i drive every Day to work. And drive my kids to daycare.
For me the average to work is between 37-39 mpg. So far 4500 miles on the clock. I will go for ecu upgrade soon and probably lighter 18 inch wheels next year.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
MPG, who cares

Really can't see any point in buying a car like this with the main consideration being good fuel consumption. If you're driving a Cupra carefully enough to get almost 40 mpg out of it (I still maintain 40 is pie in the sky) then you may as well buy the 1.2 version. That ain't negativity, it's common sense!

I concur. I have a modest FR 1.8tsi (I know this topic is about you lucky gits with Cupra's) I switched from a diesel, miles more fun, grin every time I drive it and the wife says it's cool. Like you said if it's economy you need then by a derv or small capacity petrol.

Rokerlad

Sep 25, 2004
East of Eden

This. To get 40mpg in a Cupra you are driving it like a *****. Cupras are meant for fun surely?

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
I drive almost 19000 miles a year. And i wanted a fast car on weekends and a car that i drive every Day to work. And drive my kids to daycare.
For me the average to work is between 37-39 mpg. So far 4500 miles on the clock. I will go for ecu upgrade soon and probably lighter 18 inch wheels next year.

Sorry guys. But this.

More than happy to get good economy one day and **** all the next. Glad I bought a car that can do it.

350 miles on the clock - and boom - 40.2mpgs. The toy below sorts out my speed kicks. The Cupra is slow compared.

1AF574B2-5CA4-4F1B-A61F-63A4470ACA72_zpseuzqylgz.jpg

55696650-188A-4C0A-95B7-8DD0E22F519F_zpsyckjgpeo.jpg

The 280 is a fantastic car. Does everything I want whether it's driven by a ***** or driven by a mad Cnut!!!!!

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.