Cupra 280 REAL Mpg?

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
The real test is using something like fuelly.

Simple maths my friend.
1 x gallon equates to 4.55ltrs.

Say you use 45ltrs of fuel. Divide 45ltrs by 4.55 (1 x gallon) = 9.89 gallons, then divide what ever your mileage is by the gallons used and you will get an accurate mpg. :)

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
Indeed, which is exactly what the fuelly app does so you don't need to note the mileage on your petrol receipt every time you fill up!

Last edited:

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Wow, just reading through this as I have a soft spot for the cupra. I have an Exeo 170 Tdi and only get 43 ish on a normal run - bit of town, 80ish on the motorway. 38-40 if under 10 miles, normal driving.

My brother has an M135i and0 gets 39mpg on the same trip I'd get 43 ish (up to me mothers!). An eye opener for sure.

On a longer say 200 mile trip I will get 48-50 but don't do those every week.

Man maths is selling the cupra to me.

Last edited:

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Last weekend I drove from Northumberland to London and back, a round trip of 610 miles. On the journey down the computer said I had achieved 43.3 mpg but on filling up and working out the actual consumption it equated to 41 mpg. The journey home yielded a reading of 41 from the computer and having filled the tank up today and worked out the actual figures it came to 40 mpg.

What an amazing car the Cupra 280 is, 0-60 in 5.7 seconds and 40+ mpg on a run...........

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
Maybe, but if you accelerate at the same rate, and cruise at 70mph, you would expect it to be much closer. The octavia was remapped to around 250bhp. In any case, a few cupra owners are seemingly easily getting high 30s early 40s with effort. I've not seen better than 34, and that was gently driving at 65-70 along the M4, and 40-60 A40 on a 100 mile journey. Short shifting at max 3k rpm. You can't make it any easier other than stopping and switching off the engine.

MOzR1

Oct 13, 2014
Spirited drive to work this morning (not excessive anbd still a majority of straight line crusing and a major headwind) saw 26mpgs.

Seastormer

Cupra Leon VZ2 300/CBF1000
Apr 25, 2014
Edinburgh (Scotland)
Maybe, but if you accelerate at the same rate, and cruise at 70mph, you would expect it to be much closer. The octavia was remapped to around 250bhp. In any case, a few cupra owners are seemingly easily getting high 30s early 40s with effort. I've not seen better than 34, and that was gently driving at 65-70 along the M4, and 40-60 A40 on a 100 mile journey. Short shifting at max 3k rpm. You can't make it any easier other than stopping and switching off the engine.

Is that fig your overall, or just on single journeys because if it's single journeys, your car does sound like it has something wrong.

Mar 13, 2011
Is that fig your overall, or just on single journeys because if it's single journeys, your car does sound like it has something wrong.

Maybe the automatics are just more economical? They have this ability to coast on the overrun which is bound to help, the manual doesn't do this (well ours doesn't anyway). Best I ever got on a long run in early days of ownership was 37Mpg. I've no doubt it could be beaten with a large dollop of self restraint, but life's too short to worry about what MPG's you can get out of a hot hatch.

Stever750

Nov 20, 2014
West Wales
Mine's a DSG. I suspect there is a wheel alignment issue causing it, although nothing feels obviously wrong (as in steering wheel at an angle in the straight ahead position).

Mar 13, 2011
Mine's a DSG. I suspect there is a wheel alignment issue causing it, although nothing feels obviously wrong (as in steering wheel at an angle in the straight ahead position).

Tyre pressures? I'd agree with others that if bimbling on a straight road then high 30's should be easy with an auto. I don't do a lot of that type of driving these days.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise