Cupra 290 GPF Delete + Res Delete question

Jun 21, 2020
So my Cupra is leased and currently has a JB4 fitted on custom Map6.

I am looking into getting a VAGSport Res delete but I know that with these cars it doesn't make anywhere near the difference it used to in the older 290/300's. Because of this, I am looking at getting a Miltek/other brand GPF/OPF delete fitted at the same time. Now my question is, when the car goes into SEAT for it's first oil change in 3 months, will this be a problem? I plan on removing the JB4 before it goes in so there is no proof that it is tuned (and thus no issues) but I was planning on getting the GPF light turned off (I'm assuming this would need to be flashed/mapped out) - Will this show up on the VW service system once plugged in as being tuned / ECU flashed (and thus raising the warranty for powertrain etc as being invalidated on the VW system?)

I obviously do not wish for the lease company to demand the balance of the V5C from me in the event that it becomes invalidated (and thus I probably won't do it).

I have heard many mixed things from different people and someone who has had this done already and had the light turned off via an ECU flash has told me I'm probably worrying too much about it.

Cheers

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
It's leased so the car isn't yours, you shouldn't be modding it period. Also removal of emission devices like dpf/gpfs will fail an MOT and is not legal.

Seat won't most likely care until you need to claim on the warranty, then they have a get out of jail card.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020
It's leased so the car isn't yours, you shouldn't be modding it period. Also removal of emission devices like dpf/gpfs will fail an MOT and is not legal.

Seat won't most likely care until you need to claim on the warranty, then they have a get out of jail card.
I've been on the fence about it as the JB4 is removable and so largely undetectable but to say they couldn't find any trace of it being previously fitted would probably be untrue. Regarding a resonator delete, providing this is declared to insurance you would easily get away with that as you're only removing the centre silencer and the main dealer wouldn't care or see any changes on their side through doing this (lease company may feel differently about this).

In terms of the GPF delete, this is of course not technically legal and yes would fail an MOT but most people are in the mindset of that because the car isn't going to require one for the first 3 years they could get away with it, irrespective of police checks etc.

I think it would probably be fine but I'm more worried about a TD1 being flagged due to the 'mapping out' of the GPF on the dealer's system which could potentially void powertrain warranty.

And yes, I am aware of the stipulations that you shouldn't be modding a car on lease but it's a roll of the dice as many people take with their cheap lease deals, providing you aren't actually remapping the car / flashing the TCU / throwing on engine mods I'm fairly certain most dealers aren't going to be raising any eyebrows and that there would be no need for them to contact the leasing company. I have been told that under the process, the leasing company would never be told of any issues with the car and that the process for a lease car vs a regular customers car involves no additional checks or any extra discussions from the technicians taking place. It is down to you and the dealership. Not sure how true that would be in the event of a large warranty claim rejection though.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
They can trace the mod box as it stores in the memory, like said above they wont look untill its warranty tine lol

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
In terms of the GPF delete, this is of course not technically legal and yes would fail an MOT but most people are in the mindset of that because the car isn't going to require one for the first 3 years they could get away with it, irrespective of police checks etc.
In addition to warranty claim implications, please also don’t overlook the insurance implications of a GPF delete. As it’s a modification, it should be declared to your insurer. However, as it’s technically illegal to remove the GPF, you‘ll probably find your insurer won’t continue to cover you as pretty much all car insurance policies will include a requirement in the small print for the car to be well maintained and road legal. Not complying with the requirement could invalidate the policy.

If you don’t declare it, would an insurer ever find out?
  • Maybe not, but if you’re unfortunate to be involved in a accident and your car sustains enough damage for it to be subjected to a detailed inspection by an insurance loss adjuster, there’s a high likelihood that discovery of the GPF delete would result in repudiation of any claim payment for the damage / write off value of the car. Also, if anyone is injured as a result of the accident and your insurance company pays out for those injuries (which could be significant in a serious accident), they can pursue you personally for recovery of those payments.
  • Not declaring modifications would be considered as insurance fraud by pretty much all Insurance companies, as the insurer doesn’t have the opportunity to;
a) assess any potential increased insurance risk the modifications represent​
b) consider any increased premium they require compared to an equivalent I modified vehicle.​

Insurance fraud is a criminal offence, which would need to be declared if switching to a different car insurer, so could affect the ability to get insurance cover at an affordable price in future.​

At the end of the day it’s not my decision, although I won’t be deleting the GPF from my car. However, I wouldn’t want to think that a fellow forum member did something that invalidated their insurance policy, or potentially being saddled with large debts in the event of an accident.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Can you not do to them what you do with the dpf just rip insides out so it still loks like its there

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: queen

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I dare say it is possible to remove the GPF internals so visually, it appears as if the GPF is intact. However, with the increased focus on all things climate change related and vehicle emissions, I wouldn’t be surprised to see an increase In roadside emissions testing, and if the internals of the GPF had been removed, that would be picked up during a roadside test through the presence of excessive harmful particulate matter in the exhaust emissions that the GPF is designed to trap.

That could mean,
  • a fine.
  • insurance being invalidated (assuming the illegal modification of GPF removal hadn’t been declared), the offender being prosecuted for driving without insurance and their car possibly being confiscated.
  • committing the criminal offence of insurance fraud - obtaining insurance without declaring all the facts (illegal GPF removal) that an insurer would need to know to calculate the correct premium for a modified vehicle. An offence of insurance fraud is likely to result in the offender’s details being added to the Insurance Fraud Register - an insurance industry wide database accessible by insurance companies to cross-check / validate information provided by customers applying for insurance. Being on the Insurance Fraud Register is likely to affect the ability of an individual to get insurance cover, and the affordability of that cover.
Admittedly, lots of ifs, buts and maybes and the risks of a GPF delete being discovered may be low. Also, as said in my previous post it’s not my decision - removing the GPF from my car isn’t something I’d consider doing, and it’s no skin off my nose if the OP decides to do a GPF delete. I’m just pointing out the potential consequences.

Link to www.gov.uk website and the section on emissions testing (‘Roadside Checks’ section);

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.