Cupra 290 turbo fail

Jan 16, 2019
Hi all,

First time posting on here, just looking for a bit of advice. I’ve spent loads of time searching around and through these forums and not found what I’m looking for so far, so any input would be appreciated! I’ll try and keep it relatively short :)

A while back I had my ECP light come on, car went into limp mode. I switched the car off and on (as that’s about the extent of my technical abilities) and it was fine after that for a good few weeks. Just under a week before Christmas it happened again but wouldn’t go away this time. Eventually got the car to Seat after the bank holidays etc and they’ve said it needs a new turbo. Haven’t managed to speak to them to find out the exact problem with the turbo as yet as they still have the car. They’re replacing under warrenty as to be expected and being really good about it.

What I can’t seem to find is if any of the 290’s were affected by the “bad batch” of turbos that some of the 280’s, R’s etc suffered with? Would just be nice to know.
Also I remember someone telling me years ago that if a turbo on a car goes then the car isn’t ever really the same again and it’s probably going to be a recurring issue. Like I said before my technical knowledge is pretty damn poor so I’m wondering if anyone thinks this is correct and I should just get rid once its fixed?? It doesn’t really get driven hard often and it’s completely stock. It’s not even done 14,000 miles......

Doesn’t look like I’ve done too well at keeping things short but like I said any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
I had a turbo failure on a previous car 1.4 140hp Leon FR less than 6 months old from new.

Car went into limp mode as yours did. I took it to my local dealer and they confirmed it was from a faulty batch (they had two cars in with the same issue). It was replaced in a few data and the car handed back to me.

It was driven for the next 18 months with no issues at all. The car felt the same and handled exactly as it had before the turbo fault.

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks for the reply Maypack. Good to know the new part lasted longer than the original!!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise