Cupra Formentor Hybrid not charging

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Might be a poor quality extension perhaps 🤔. Anyway, these guys do 20m plus cables:

Looks like they deliver to Europe too.

Oct 8, 2023
Nothing yet jehmzz, it's been a bit of a ride to be honest, the date I took my car in they didn't have the booking on their system, now I need to wait till 20th of March as they couldn't provide me a courtesy car untill then! Love the car, even with the faults but the service is a bit of a let down!
@tinykettle did they resolve it? I have exactly the same issue and the earliest appointment at the Seat garage is in 1 month.

DC99

Aug 27, 2023

This is the one i purchased- its 5m - i maybe could have got a longer one - but this one just abut does it.
Note this is an extension lead. an ordinary type 2 is NOT an extension lead. one of the contacts is shorter inside the plug (or is it the socket end? - doesn't matter it does not make a full circuit).
Maybe this is why your "extension" is not working - was is a standard Type 2 charger lead you were using?

Also worth noting - i was told by a supplier (not the people at the link above) that the wall charger people do not like extension leads and may void your warranty .
My extention lead from the above works 100% no issues or errors :) Oh and you can see its not cheap...

Dec 25, 2023
Any updates how these cases have been solved?

Today my Formentor began to do the same; when a charging cable is plugged to the socket the white light goes off and a green light is not getting on. The cable is also not getting locked to the socket. However on the display of the car it shows that the cable is connected. But no charging is happening.

Couple days ago the outside temperature was couple celsius degrees plus, but now there has been only minus degrees. I was thinking if a some lock mechanism could be frozen and I tried to use hot air blower to warm the plug but no success. I know I have to book a garage, but I know that even in the best case it will take some weeks before there are free time slots in Cupra service.

I have tried charging on one charging station also, the problem is not in the charger or in the extension cord.

tinykettle

Jan 22, 2023
Hi, sorry I haven’t replied in a while,

so I use an extension lead too which my garage have said shouldn’t effect the chargigg by as long as it is rated to the to correct current (I believe these chargers pull about 10A)

the garage never really got to the bottom of it because when they tested it, the charger worked fine and other than a couple of hiccups has worked fine since!
What I have found works is if you disconnect the charger, start the car and drive it a short distance in my case the drive and back onto it. Then plug the charger in and see if that works. The only thing the garage said was just make sure the plug is fully in. In my opinion I think the lock mechanism doesn’t engage and that’s why it won’t charge. But it seemed to happen if it was cold and wet….. anyway my car is back in as it needs the rear camera replacing and calibrating, luckily on warranty! Love the car but is a pain

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
I have the same problem since this morning.
Last night the car was fully charged at home. After driving to a customer it won't lock the cablesocket of the car and start charging.
The white light turns off when plugging in the cable. Normally the green goes on and starts blinking while charging but now nothing happens.
Tried several wall boxes with my yellow cable without any luck. Also my own wall box with fixed 8m cable won't lock and charge.
Plugging it in slowly or moving it a little in all directions doesn't help.
I'm so glad it's a hybrid and we can fill it up with petrol (y)

Dec 25, 2023
Sorry, I forgot to reply about how my case was resolved. I managed to get the service done quite quickly, and they replaced a fuse. I'm not sure about the location of the fuse, sorry. The car actually belongs to my wife, and she was the one who took care of the service visit. :)

However, at the service center, they had mentioned that this is a common problem in Cupra Formentors and that this fix might not last very long. They believed that more parts, (I understood they were talking about the connector), may need to be replaced sooner or later.

We are living in Finland, and the Formentor has had quite a few problems related to cold weather. I think that the charging connector area is especially having a very poor design againts snow and cold weather conditions.

Reactions: EdwinV

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
Sorry, I forgot to reply about how my case was resolved. I managed to get the service done quite quickly, and they replaced a fuse. I'm not sure about the location of the fuse, sorry. The car actually belongs to my wife, and she was the one who took care of the service visit. :)

However, at the service center, they had mentioned that this is a common problem in Cupra Formentors and that this fix might not last very long. They believed that more parts, (I understood they were talking about the connector), may need to be replaced sooner or later.

We are living in Finland, and the Formentor has had quite a few problems related to cold weather. I think that the charging connector area is especially having a very poor design againts snow and cold weather conditions.
Thank you for the information. I checked all the fuses and they all look fine.
Maybe there is another one hidden somewhere.
I will make an appointment with the dealer.

EdwinV

Feb 7, 2022
Can you check with another cable ?
I tried with my portable yellow cable and my Alfen charging station at home has a fixed 8m cable. Two different plugs and both don't work.
Now that you mention it... I also have a 230v charger somewhere.

Update: this morning i got a notification that the 12volt battery was low. I will replace that one as soon as possible. Maybe it solves some the other problems too :rolleyes:

Update2: Went to a local garage to test the 12volt battery and it's ok. No replacement needed. The technician recommended retesting the charging because the 12 volt battery was completely disconnected. He had seen problems disappear before because the 12-volt battery was disconnected and the system received a kind of reset. And guess what? The charging problem is gone and the battery is charging again.

1706275889946.png
1706275910710.png

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.