Cupra Overhaul!!

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Well this is the current state of my car, once it’s all back together the following will have been added / replaced;

Standard Parts:

- Top Mounts
- Top Mount Bearings
- Ball Joints
- Ball Joint Lock Plates
- Anti-Roll Bar Links
- Track Rod Ends
- Wheel Bearings

Aftermarket Parts:

- H&R Coilovers
- Powerflex Wishbone Bushes
- Powerflex Engine Bed Bushes
- Powerflex Steering Rack Bushes
- Powerflex ARB Bushes
- H&R Front & Rear Roll Bars
- Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts
- Aquamist 1S System
- Secondary Air Pump Blanking Plate
- New Larger FMIC
- Neuspeed Short Shifter
- Peloquin ATB Differential
- SPEC Stage 3 228mm Clutch
- SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel
- Full Gearbox Strip Down + Rebuild

As well as this, most the bolts will be replaced with new items. All the wishbones, engine bed, front engine sub-frame plus a few other bits freshly painted black. When it’s back together the base of the car in my eye’s is done, all that’s left is to seek a little bit more power :D

Here’s the pictures;

cupra_overhall_1.JPG

Something missing??

cupra_overhall_2.JPG

I’m sure there was a gearbox there before!?!

cupra_overhall_3.JPG

No wishbones, driveshafts, or any other running gear for that matter.

cupra_overhall_4.JPG

Same as above!

cupra_overhall_5.JPG

Freshly poly bushed, just need to do some welding.

cupra_overhall_6.JPG

Who stole my Forge FMIC… Kev!?!

cupra_overhall_7.JPG

Bunch of bits.

cupra_overhall_8.JPG

Poly bushed front engine sub-frame

cupra_overhall_9.JPG

Slightly warped is an understatement, defiantly due a change.

Last edited:

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
cupra_overhall_10.JPG

Underside shot.

Next step is to drop the engine bed to give it a lash of black paint and fit in the engine and gearbox mounts, I’ll update this topic as time goes on. Hoping within the next 2 weeks to have the car back on the road!

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
thats some serious work there matey......good stuff though! id never have the time to have my car off the road that long, id have to hire a car.......or pinch the missus.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
I decided against fitting the diff myself and left it in the capable hands of Dan-ish off here, he's in the middle of doing it. At the end of the day I'd rather not mess up a £300 box and a £600 diff for the sake of a bit of labour, after all saving enough as it is! :D

Doing it all myself with the help from a few friends along the way, one of my mates Tom helped me greatly when it came to actually dropping the gearbox out!

Here's some more pictures from today, borrowed an engine lift so that I could drop the main engine bed, also managed to wire wool the wishbones ready for painting tonight.

cupra_overhaul_11.JPG

cupra_overhaul_12.JPG

cupra_overhaul_13.JPG

cupra_overhaul_14.JPG

cupra_overhaul_15.JPG

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Not into blinging it up with polised bit's are use, but I am a huge fan of a clean tidy engine bay. Well before work started and winter for that matter, it was nice and clean however since work has started oily hands have tarnished a few things.

Plus theres more road dust and silt sticking to the OEM sealant / wax oil than I'd like... However I'll start cleaning things up once it's back together. Still in two minds whether to pull the engine out now, do some internal work whilst it's in this state.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
certainly makes it easier & nicer to work on if it's all clean. Nice & easy to spot leaks etc too

gavthelad

Bring on the Boooooost
Nov 19, 2005
Redditch (Midlands)
then some more cleaning after the leak........nice. when i had an oil leak, the wind from driving made it spread pretty much across the whole underside of the front......it certainly aint gonna rust for a while, just make every little bug possible stick to it.lol

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Generally most things have been clean to work with, it's just the chassis legs where the wax oil SEAT has applied has attracted a lot of dust, everything else has been clean to the touch but had small signs of rust or mild age tarnishing.

However I can't say the same for the front end and hubs which I had previously coated in copper grease, although it was manky to work with it saved time in the fact everything underneath came free easy!

Know what you mean about the wind factor on fluids, when I first did the oil on the car the front cross member held some and decided to coat the sump, really need to clean it off but again it had been acting as a protectant.

Last edited:

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Well everythings been painted, the boiler house at work was a huge help when it came to paiting and drying even though it was a little warm in there... haha!

Will get some more pictures up tomorrow, all thats left to arrive is the ARB's. However will be re-fitting the gearbox regardless at the weekend, that way can get all the box up bits back on.

The engine bed and wishbones will be built up off the car and lifted up as one item, should make things a little easier. So... Hopefully the car will be back on the road next week sometime! :D

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Can't wait for it to be finished myself, here's a few more pictures of Project Infinity;

cupra_overhaul_16.JPG

Power steering Powerflex bush.

cupra_overhaul_17.JPG

Steering rack, and random shot.

cupra_overhaul_18.JPG

Part's which won't be going back on.

cupra_overhaul_19.JPG

Freshly painted wishbone.

cupra_overhaul_20.JPG

Ohh... badge snob.

cupra_overhaul_21.JPG

Freshly painted engine beds, complete with new bushes.

cupra_overhaul_22.JPG

Gearbox mount.

cupra_overhaul_23.JPG

Gearbox complete wth Peloquin ATB Differential and full strip down and rebuild.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.