Cupra Petrol

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
All owners of the above, i'm changing my 130 sport for one in the near future. I'm going to miss the economy of my derv but feel it's time for a change. I will allways be a petrol head at heart and miss the revs and the sound. Some questions i would like to pose are (1.) Is the handling better than my sport as i feel it's shocking. (2.) Has anyone compared a 180 petrol with a 130 derv performance wise i.e. is it much quicker?

If i could have some feedback on this, i would be very grateful.

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
I cant do the comparison your after as I have neverr been in a diesel ibiza but I would assume with 50 bhp more the cupra would be alot quicker and with a remap it is a seriously rapid piece of kit. the fuel economy isn't too bad for this engine too, I average between 28-35mpg. the handling is pretty good although on mine it seems to be getting softer and rolls more as it ages. serious;y thinking about upgrading mine now with some coilovers and spacers.

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
Nice one, once i get it , i won't be able to afford suspension changes. Did you guys want for better handling straight away when you bought your petrol cupras or were you pretty happy with it standard?

CUP-RACING

Feb 13, 2007
i was definetely happy with it and found it went round corners a dream, but you always want better and faster

Derek

Jun 5, 2004
Kirkmuirhill
I did exactly what you are about to do in April this year, had my Tdi sport 130 for 4 years now have a cupra 180, performance difference is amazing, I was worried about losing a big chunk of the torque but the extra power makes up for this. As for handling, its quite a bit better since you loose a bit of weight from the diesel engine, the first thing you will notice will be how light the steering feels, and lastly the big AP racing brakes are excellent, much better at stoppong than my last one even with the Green Stuff pads I had on it.

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
So Dek your happy with your cupra. I had an accident about a month ago so insurance has gone through the roof. Got a quote on a cupra and simply can't afford it. I can however afford the FR 1.8T. Simple question is, should i bother with one?? the old cupra had 156bhp, 6 more than the FR. There can't be that much difference can there in performance?

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
IMO the fr is a corker of a car that you can't go wrong with where as the cupra is a little OTT for road use

if the derv is not to your liking the 20vt should be :D

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
Nath i was thinking also about a golf mk4 1.8t. I'm thinkin the ibiza is goin to be a lot more fun though. Can you tell me a little about your car. I bet once remapped they fly!!Can you hear the turbo whistle, cus i can barely hear it on the derv

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
What would you say are the real performance figures on the FR. About 7.7 to 60 sound about right. 6.7 with a remap to 200bhp??

Jun 24, 2007
durham
yes just under 8 standard i would think it should be quicker than 6.7 with a map if you can get the power down

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
Nice one! I do think that when you boot it in cars like my derv, the kick in the back is a bit misleading. in other words you feel your going quicker than you really are.

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
Ah, someone else (like me) who's realising that the derv-side isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. I miss petrol :(

Overtaking however...:think:

villain24

RIPPER
Nov 20, 2006
I respect the derv, it's not a slow car. But i think my foot is going to drop off, the amount of stirring of the gearbox whilst riding the torque, this can become quite weary after a bit. I've got a metal plate in my left ankle, and it pains me after half an hours driving. I'm test driving an Fr this weekend. Wow evo you have 220bhp with stage 2! thats mental, thats more than a mk5 golf gti. Bet that flys. can't see a derv beat that. I tried racing an astra vxr the other day, it totally blew me away.

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
I respect the derv, it's not a slow car. But i think my foot is going to drop off, the amount of stirring of the gearbox whilst riding the torque, this can become quite weary after a bit. I've got a metal plate in my left ankle, and it pains me after half an hours driving. I'm test driving an Fr this weekend. Wow evo you have 220bhp with stage 2! thats mental, thats more than a mk5 golf gti. Bet that flys. can't see a derv beat that. I tried racing an astra vxr the other day, it totally blew me away.

Yea 220bhp is pretty mental thats running on low setting, i have turned the boost and timing up since then and the car feels even quicker, Saying that iv seen good results form the PD160 Cupra they can be mapped to around 190bhp and the torque figure was something insane, where you having your test drive??

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
as said, the FR and CUPRA only have a 5 speed box as that is all they need, ask Rashcupra I think you will find 5th is good for about 170mph if you have the power/aero

also as said, the brakes on the fr are the same as the 130 sport, they work fine but lack that extra something needed with a remap, I personally think that the brakes would feel better with a larger pedal if that makes any sense

Tallica

Aug 8, 2007
Ah, someone else (like me) who's realising that the derv-side isn't necessarily all it's cracked up to be. I miss petrol :(

Overtaking however...:think:

Not so sure. Went out in my boss' Porsche Cayman S yesterday. (the one that gets better reviews than their current 911 range!!)
Not impressed. Handles superbly, rides like a horse cart, Sounds superb, and,...........well the engine was less er interesting, and didnt feel as grunty as my remapped tdi. I know, I was really suprised as well.
Guess i'm not ready to return from the darkside just yet! :)