RS6

Nov 24, 2009
Normal for a cupra r? im having mine checked out friday seems large amounts of white smoke/steam, can't smell anything funny, not losing oil or coolent (did top it up months ago when it beeped hasn't dropped) doesn't seem down on power but i wouldn't know as i've not owned it long the car has done 48k, but always very smokey? warms up to 90 in 5 mins then fans kick in, i thought it might be condensation as i wash the car alot but it should clear up surely after a long drive, when you rev the car gentley smoke is released sitting in traffic waves of smoke can be seen in the rear view, then it will calm down on idle, then pull away and smoke

booked in for cambelt and TIP upgrade but before i spend out £492 im going to get it checked?

worried it could be head gasket, turbo on the way out, bought it in december its got FSH and have had it serviced last month

any other suggestions? blocked oil breather pipe, knackered exhaust 52plate

running it with super unleaded all the time, i think previous owner just used cheap stuff

i hate cars :confused:

or maybe im worrying about nothing? i just don't know being a new owner

Last edited:

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
right just had the engine on in the garage peered underneath the car to look at the exhaust, the backbox has a massive crack in it running right down the side of the backbox, the sheet metal is practically pulling apart looks in pretty bad condition would this of caused all the smoke?

rich225cupra

Jan 5, 2010
Sheffield
right just had the engine on in the garage peered underneath the car to look at the exhaust, the backbox has a massive crack in it running right down the side of the backbox, the sheet metal is practically pulling apart looks in pretty bad condition would this of caused all the smoke?

unsure mate. mine has quite a bit of condesation but ive only had i a week and its been stood for a while. its getting better tho.

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
im sure mine is condensation as well, been very cold etc, im always washing the car, but didn't realise the exhaust was in such a bad way more £'s

rich225cupra

Jan 5, 2010
Sheffield
yeah it has. im just monitering it at the mo. it gets worse when its been running 5 mins and im in traffic. hardly anything on start up. might block test if for peace of mind;)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
may i ask why you would want it lol for the tailpipe? :headhurt:

so I can look at the baffle design inside it to see if it is possible to make an active-exhaust type movable baffle and then plate weld it back together.. :)

RS6

Nov 24, 2009
oooft sounds good yeah i will let you know whats happening to it! like i say i need cambelt changed aux pipe and TIP fitted this month so might be next month i change exhaust looking a miltek system cat back with RS6 tip

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
oooft sounds good yeah i will let you know whats happening to it! like i say i need cambelt changed aux pipe and TIP fitted this month so might be next month i change exhaust looking a miltek system cat back with RS6 tip

If you could that'd be great. I'm doing my engineering finals at the minute so not having an exhaust to tamper with would probably be good for the next couple of weeks!! Cheers :)

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Somebody mentioned it's to do with the exhaust layout under the car - condensation collects overnight and burns off as steam in the morning.

I saw a Mk IV Golf kicking out lots of white steam this morning.

Sep 29, 2008
Midlands
I have a lot of smoke (condensation) come from mine too.

Seen other threads raising this, and this tends to be "the norm".

Alexis' response seem perfectly feasible too.

cupratdi53

could the crack be from the cold weather and water collecting in the tail pipe and freezing with the lovely weather we have had ?

Dani_b19

Apr 8, 2009
Mines a bitch for white smoke/steam, does my head in, smells fine and isnt using water/oil tbh, think its just these engines and the weather.

andycupra

status subject to change
how far have you driven?

The cupra R is known for having a fair bit of condensation from the exhaust when cold due to the exaust.

However clearly this should clear after a period of time on longer journies.. the recent cold weather makes the condensation issue worse, but one warmed up fully it shouldnt be happening.

Have you done any journies 10 miles plus? or for a good few miles after temps have been achieved?

oil look ok?

the crack could cause or exaggeratethis issue as water could be collecting

Jamie225

Dec 16, 2009
Leicester
checked mine today. it does smoke/steam for a few minutes when first started but then it clears when it has warmed up. i think its normal tbh

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Yeah I’ve noticed this on my car, (Cupra R 225)more noticeable in the cold, its always my car that seems to be producing the most white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust in the traffic jam, cant see as much from anyone else’s. I got out had had a bit of a sniff, it just smells like hot water, you know, nothing to worry about i guess, cant smell anything, although the actual back box is starting to rust a bit at the bottom, but its still got plenty of life in it I’m sure. My car is completely stock.

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
mine the same, if you rev it in traffic its pretty easy to engulf the 5 or so nearest cars in a nice plume of white smoke!! I see it as a party trick rather than a problem!! haha

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
hahaha, yeah i guess thats something i could do to entertain myself during those jams. i've thought that maybe it was because most other "normal" cars dont have nice exhausts like ours, they're just crappy rusty steel things.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members