Cupra R turbo or head gasket?

Katycupra

May 21, 2017
So Thursday morning got out to the Leon. Started up, and had the 3 ear piercing low temp beeps. Checked coolant, sure enough it was empty.
Literally having 7 minutes to get to work I popped some undiluted coolant into the bottle and drove like 5 miles to work. No problems.

After work I topped it up with water, warmed it up to temperature and cooled it off before driving home.

About 3 miles down the road I lost a lot of power (still accelerated but very juddery and not as powerful as normal).
Gently drove home, and then noticed a rattling noise - where I was pretty convinced it was the turbo gone and there was an increasing whistle on the drive home.

The following day on start up was fine. Drove round the block no issues. Then again later that day started it up, juddery again, and a fair amount of white s.oke from the exhaust.
The cars fine when in idle. But there is still a rattle coming from front end after pressing on the accelerator.

What on earth is going on?!

Seat Leon Cupra R
55 plate
Platinum grey
Stage 1 289 bhp 313lb/ft

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Katycupra

May 21, 2017
So Thursday morning got out to the Leon. Started up, and had the 3 ear piercing low temp beeps. Checked coolant, sure enough it was empty.
Literally having 7 minutes to get to work I popped some undiluted coolant into the bottle and drove like 5 miles to work. No problems.

After work I topped it up with water, warmed it up to temperature and cooled it off before driving home.

About 3 miles down the road I lost a lot of power (still accelerated but very juddery and not as powerful as normal).
Gently drove home, and then noticed a rattling noise - where I was pretty convinced it was the turbo gone and there was an increasing whistle on the drive home.

The following day on start up was fine. Drove round the block no issues. Then again later that day started it up, juddery again, and a fair amount of white s.oke from the exhaust.
The cars fine when in idle. But there is still a rattle coming from front end after pressing on the accelerator.

What on earth is going on?!

Seat Leon Cupra R
55 plate
Platinum grey
Stage 1 289 bhp 313lb/ft

Arghh

Katycupra

May 21, 2017
Is the water level going down at all?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
It's settled since refilling but not dropped significantly. However I haven't driven since as not risking the turbo going entirely

DrewCole

Spannering the Cupra
Oct 19, 2015
Braintree, Essex
Head gaskets aren't a common issue with the 1.8t's, so unless yours ran dry, I'd probably rule it out.

Get a compression test done to discount other things like valve stem and piston rings.

My oil seal recently went on my turbo, engine ticked over fine, but ram like a dog if it came onto boost.

Tons of smoke out the back and lumpy engine.

It started with just a small amount of smoke, but soon got worse.

I'll just buy a new cartridge for the Turbo and rebuild.

Katycupra

May 21, 2017
Head gaskets aren't a common issue with the 1.8t's, so unless yours ran dry, I'd probably rule it out.

Get a compression test done to discount other things like valve stem and piston rings.

My oil seal recently went on my turbo, engine ticked over fine, but ram like a dog if it came onto boost.

Tons of smoke out the back and lumpy engine.

It started with just a small amount of smoke, but soon got worse.

I'll just buy a new cartridge for the Turbo and rebuild.

Fair enough is that common then? Yeah it idea fine but then smokes like a golden on boost - however there is a rattle on deceleration.
Checked the oil cap today and after a rev hard revs there was very slight milky slush on it - any way of preventing either damage?It's just had full service and oil level checked regularly.

Also, a friend of a friend just popped up saying they've got a spare turbo, used for two months and changed to a gt28.
My knowledge of turbos is limited, asked if there was any play in the the shaft and they said "Only side to side for oil but no in and out" that sound right? Do you know what the exact ko4 is for the cupra r 225?

Katycupra

May 21, 2017
Fair enough is that common then? Yeah it idea fine but then smokes like a golden on boost - however there is a rattle on deceleration.
Checked the oil cap today and after a rev hard revs there was very slight milky slush on it - any way of preventing either damage?It's just had full service and oil level checked regularly.

Also, a friend of a friend just popped up saying they've got a spare turbo, used for two months and changed to a gt28.
My knowledge of turbos is limited, asked if there was any play in the the shaft and they said "Only side to side for oil but no in and out" that sound right? Do you know what the exact ko4 is for the cupra r 225?

This is the one x
9dcb87c2a8d88f120a85b89f6b4d26ff.jpg

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members