Current software version - 1.4 TSI e-Hybrid PHEV

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
Hi, could any Leon 1.4 TSI e-Hybrid (PHEV) owners out there let me know what software version they have?
Mine is on 1790, but I'd like to know if anyone else has more recent software on their PHEV.

Thanks

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
I just had my car serviced yesterday and is still on 1790 mine too. So not sure if there is no update for our cars or they didn´t want to do it.
Mine is hybrid too.

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
I just had my car serviced yesterday and is still on 1790 mine too. So not sure if there is no update for our cars or they didn´t want to do it.
Mine is hybrid too.
Given the stories about airbag units failing etc. during software updates I'd say they don't want to do it :)

My dealer assured me it's up to date, but since there appears to be a lot of bug-fixing & enhancement going on with VAG infotainment, I'd like to be getting the current version to benefit from improvements & bug fixes.

Does anyone know of a public software version guide/history? And is the head unit in the Mk4 Leon an MIB3 or something else? It's MIB3, I figured this out using http://mib-helper.com:

0. Validating data...
Provided data: MOI3_EU_SE_R7900L is valid.
Jump to: FW, maps, RSDB, PPOI, Activator, VIM, SW, tools, kits.

1. Identifying unit...
Generation and tier: MIB3 Option Infotainment
Region: Europe
Brand: Seat
Version: no distinction
Firmware version: R7900L
Firmware type: Release Candidate / Prerelease Version
Hardware vendor: LG
2. Latest available firmware updates...
Latest official firmware: MOI3_EU_SE_R8090L (MU: 0809, details).

Last edited:

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
After talking to the dealer where I did the last service, they don´t check for updates in every service they do because, and this were her words, because "it could take up to 3 hours to do the update". Even though in the service plan is included to check (not sure if is just check or install too) and they never told me there is a new update. So when I asked her if it could be updated she started asking if I had any issues with the car, So I basically told her I had the "yellow light for the fog light a couple of times", so now I´m booked for updating the car and have to pay 70€. All this is in Ireland.

1677694851992.png

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
Like you said they won't bother to do it is extra time for them lost on workshop while your car blocking spot for some other clients. They should do at least 1896 for every older version automatically. If the OTA works then rest of the car would update themselves.

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
I think updates should be done automatically with every service. Updates are normally to fix issues and mostly with cars under warranty they should get them done.

Reactions: EVangelist

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
After talking to the dealer where I did the last service, they don´t check for updates in every service they do because, and this were her words, because "it could take up to 3 hours to do the update". Even though in the service plan is included to check (not sure if is just check or install too) and they never told me there is a new update. So when I asked her if it could be updated she started asking if I had any issues with the car, So I basically told her I had the "yellow light for the fog light a couple of times", so now I´m booked for updating the car and have to pay 70€. All this is in Ireland.

View attachment 35775
I sent the car back to the dealer to have a leaking rear screen washer fixed - I emphasised that I wanted the software updated to benefit from bug fixes and enhancements, even if there was no fault. The dealer is helpful and honest, and he told me their system does not show software updates as being available unless there is a fault code present - so they created a fault to trigger the software update.

You're 100% right that it should happen during service (or better still, OTA) - all customers should benefit from VAG's ongoing bug-fixing and enhancement of MIB, not to mention any improvements to engine & battery management or stability / braking systems etc.!

So I now have 1898 - the only visible change I can see is the climate control UI, but I only had the car 3-4 days on 1790 so I wasn't that familiar with it!

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’m a firm believer of the saying ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. So if my car was running a software version and there were no issues or only the occasional minor glitch, I think I’d be content to live with that.

Based on discussions on some other VAG forums, some of these software updates seem to cause new problems and also recreate old problems that were fixed by previous updates (seems to be more of an issue with earlier cars). So rather than improve things, sometimes they can make them worse! 😮

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
I’m a firm believer of the saying ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. So if my car was running a software version and there were no issues or only the occasional minor glitch, I think I’d be content to live with that.

Based on discussions on some other VAG forums, some of these software updates seem to cause new problems and also recreate old problems that were fixed by previous updates (seems to be more of an issue with earlier cars). So rather than improve things, sometimes they can make them worse! 😮
But with software, the overall trend is towards improvement (even with the odd regression), when there is an organisation the size of VAG behind it :)
And the further behind your car gets, the more onerous (and expensive, and difficult to get the the dealer to do) it is to get it up to date.

OTA updates would take the dealers out of the chain and give VAG a faster feedback loop.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
But with software, the overall trend is towards improvement (even with the odd regression), when there is an organisation the size of VAG behind it :)
And the further behind your car gets, the more onerous (and expensive, and difficult to get the the dealer to do) it is to get it up to date.

OTA updates would take the dealers out of the chain and give VAG a faster feedback loop.
Point taken.

It’s strange that Seat still require software updates to be performed by the dealer. From what I‘ve read on various VW forums, software updates with VW have been OTA for some time now. Not all owners get the OTA updates at the same time though - some owners seem to have to wait much longer than others - so there seems to be some sort of pecking order to determine when updates are made available to owners (maybe vehicle age / vehicle VIN code is used?).

Kaxolo

Dec 23, 2021
I sent the car back to the dealer to have a leaking rear screen washer fixed - I emphasised that I wanted the software updated to benefit from bug fixes and enhancements, even if there was no fault. The dealer is helpful and honest, and he told me their system does not show software updates as being available unless there is a fault code present - so they created a fault to trigger the software update.

You're 100% right that it should happen during service (or better still, OTA) - all customers should benefit from VAG's ongoing bug-fixing and enhancement of MIB, not to mention any improvements to engine & battery management or stability / braking systems etc.!

So I now have 1898 - the only visible change I can see is the climate control UI, but I only had the car 3-4 days on 1790 so I wasn't that familiar with it!
I have mine booked. so you are telling me that unless I have a yellow light on my dash they won´t be able to do it?

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
It doesn't have to be a major fault, mine went in because the lane assist pulls the car in the wrong direction and the climate control boils passengers - you can probably think of a few bugs on yours.

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
It doesn't have to be a major fault, mine went in because the lane assist pulls the car in the wrong direction and the climate control boils passengers - you can probably think of a few bugs on yours.
Good to know it’s not just mine that does this. Found it weird that the car pulls towards the kerb it’s thinking you need saving from.. I’ve coded mine to be off by default now anyway cos it’s just a PITA more than an assistant.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
I think is much less than having non warranty repair / service 😉 warranty are per job service is on hourly rate
Just ordered my SEAT for warranty investigation with 3 things - 3 months waiting list plus 60 miles drive what to say 😑 not surprised anymore with them not doing the updates automatically.

EVangelist

Feb 14, 2023
Point taken.

It’s strange that Seat still require software updates to be performed by the dealer. From what I‘ve read on various VW forums, software updates with VW have been OTA for some time now. Not all owners get the OTA updates at the same time though - some owners seem to have to wait much longer than others - so there seems to be some sort of pecking order to determine when updates are made available to owners (maybe vehicle age / vehicle VIN code is used?).
Very likely they would have a model-by-model and/or country-by-country roll-out strategy - you'd need be very confident to just let fly across all models & markets :) Different VIN groups would also have specific hardware revisions so that's another thing to group updates by.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.