Dash rattle and door cards

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Hi Guys,

I know ive seen some threads around here about door card rattles (both my rear cards have recently started rattling) but has anyone got a dashboard rattle?
Its bl00dy annoying but does stop if I place my hand on the dash above the dash cluster...
Just hoping someone has had this and can offer some light, I fear taking it back to seat for them to attempt to rectify it but only make things worse!!

Its driving me crazy now, the car is 10 months old and sounds 10 years old!
My final concern is, will I need reset my VCDS tweeks???

Last edited:

gamer555

Dec 6, 2008
Brussels
I took my leon back to the dealer and they fixed the door rattles. And yeah, I did revert to initial settings with VCDS just to be on the safe side. Once I got it back I had to re do everything

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I can't belive how much my passenger side dash rattles and I am expecting it to just get worse through winter. I just keep reminding myself that I only have to put up with it for another 9 months until I give the car back and have a new one!

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Mine went into dealer for door rattles and they made it worse. Now have rattles developing around the radio and the passenger seat back rattles like mad, just waiting for a couple of days off work and will be sorting it out myself. Only way to do it dealer just isn't. Interested now they had my Money.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Appreciate the honesty here guys, its kinda what I expected and the reason I've been putting it off, I know the dash would be a massive job to sort and I just Dont trust them to not break or snap anything and just make the problem a whole lot worse.
Not sure I can live with it for the next two years tho! May just have to take it in for the cards, that may help a little...
Such a shame cause its a fantastic car... Just screwed together poorly

Last edited:

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Appreciate the honesty here guys, its kinda what I expected and the reason I've been putting it off, I know the dash would be a massive job to sort and I just Dont trust them to not break or snap anything and just make the problem a whole lot worse.
Not sure I can live with it for the next two years tho! May just have to take it in for the cards, that may help a little...
Such a shame cause its a fantastic car... Just screwed together poorly

My thoughts exactly, great car just poor build quality, and poor service certainly from my dealer, and reading various posts others seem to have the same problem with theirs. I know all cars rattle but there rattles and there's rattles.

easybreeze80

Aug 31, 2014
I am wanting to take the door cards off myself rather than let someone who isn't bothered about being careful touching it, but although I've done it many times on my Golf, I'm a little scared on a brand new car. What on earth could be rattling in there though? Mine sounds like a tiny screw has fallen out - impossible surely.

Last edited:

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
Ive had a good prod around on the way home today, and its actually the instrument binacal or at least the perspex that is vibrating, its silent when I hold it with my finger..(well silent excluding the doors rattling! Lol) this sounds less of a job to me? Atleast I've pointed them in the right direction?? Hmmmmm

Pgcreature

Oct 7, 2013
Surrey
If fixed my rattling perspex cover to the speedo consol several months ago and have had no reoccurance since. Firstly I sprayed wd40 around the lower section and let it soak down between the Perspex face and trim. This helped by about 40% I the cut a small soft piece of black rubber to shape from a wiper blade and glued it up in place at 12 o'clock between the Perspex and trim with the glue dab on the Perspex side of the rubber as the trim edge was too thin to take the glue. Finally very carefully pushing the rubber up almost out of sight. This then completely sorted the problem. I have had my car for over a year and put up with this rattle for many months before deciding to sort it myself... Just needed to sort out a solution.. At no time did I have faith in returning to a dealer who just would not take the care or spend the time necessary. The door cards which other members are having problems with seem ok at the moment, but again I would not trust to a dealer who could only just make matters worse

ayjaysee

Aug 11, 2014
I did exactly the above for the perspex speedo rattle and have had no problems since.

Fraczish

Aug 20, 2013
That's fantastic, I will have a crack at this at the weekend, Dont suppose you've got a picture of the fix?

Bubbs

Jul 18, 2013
There is a SEAT 'TPI' (service bulletin) out for the instrument cluster perspex rattle. Dealer fixed it for me last week :) Unfortunately I don't know what the reference number is.

jmh0804

Jan 12, 2011
Southampton
I just called seat on this and was told they check for bulletins each time the car is in. (It's been back a lot)

And there isn't one listed for this Perspex rattle. I read this post and then tried it last night. Sure enough when it's rattling I place my finger on there and the rattle stops.

Can anyone arm me with the bulletin number so I can get this fixed in confidence. All the faults ive had should be finally addressed on its next visit would be nice to have this one addressed too.

99eunsd

Nov 9, 2013
Edinburgh, Scotland
Ive had a good prod around on the way home today, and its actually the instrument binacal or at least the perspex that is vibrating, its silent when I hold it with my finger..(well silent excluding the doors rattling! Lol) this sounds less of a job to me? Atleast I've pointed them in the right direction?? Hmmmmm

I had this problem. The black plastic in the instrument binnacle comes out, the dealership basically put some bits of sticky backed felt around the edges of the Perspex and shoved the plastic cowling back in. Didn't put it back in very well tbh, I had to press it all in again to make all the clips go back in, but it seems to have cured the problem.
Now just have a rattily rear door card and a noisy key ring!

AlexV

May 10, 2014
I don't have neither rattles in the door cards or from the instrument cluster...
However I have a quite annoying one coming from behind the satnav system which seems to disappear when the car gets warm.
I'm guessing it must be one of the ventilation ducts that has some play when cold.
Anyone else with this?

simmo1

Jul 1, 2014
Estonia
I don't have neither rattles in the door cards or from the instrument cluster...
However I have a quite annoying one coming from behind the satnav system which seems to disappear when the car gets warm.
I'm guessing it must be one of the ventilation ducts that has some play when cold.
Anyone else with this?

Seems like I have the same issue. Just some random plastic "pop" sound, right? And it does not matter whether car is moving or not.
If you can sort it out let me know !

McDubber1

Jun 29, 2007
East Lothian
I had a rattle coming from the instrument cluster area when the car was only a few months old so took it in and the dealer fixed it and it's been fine ever since. They told me it was a bit of look that was t properly secured and that the dash would probably have to come out but I'm not entirely sure if they did take the complete dash out or not.

I've never had any rattles front the door cards but I have a rattle that's just appeared front the passenger side of the dash although come to think of it I've not heard it over the last few days, maybe it's gone with a bit of luck.

A few other build quality issue's have arisen lately aswell.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members