Dash rattle and door cards

Hickman

May 5, 2014
This issue is now a Seat Campaign. I guess that's one down from a recall? So if you've got squeaks and rattles get the car booked in.
Unfortunately mine has been in 3 times and is going back in on the 24th!!!! My problem is/ has been the passenger door and door pillar which squeaks and don't get me started with music and volume!

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
I've just picked up the instrument cluster perspex rattle. Looks like a trip to the dealer is on the cards.

its not the perspex , its the whole unit it rattles at the top on the back of the dash , i took mine out and stuck sticky back foam on the back of it where it meets plastic, silent now ;)

solved all the rattles in this car , now all i need to do is sound proof the rear speakers

Mark GF Smith

Aug 25, 2014
Derby
I jammed some rubber into the front as a temporary fix. Seems to be OK. I'll get the proper fix from the dealer when I get a chance. Seems there are many different rattles on the mk3.

ITMonkey

Jul 13, 2004
Definitely the perspex on mine - you could move it up and down by hand. Fixed by the dealer (along with the door rattles - hopefully).

EoinM

For the persex you can get sticky pads - like clear bluetac. I stuck one out of sight up the top of the perspex out of sight with a credit card totally out of view. I prefer this approach to letting the dealer do it to be honest.

leonlad

Mar 28, 2004
london
For the persex you can get sticky pads - like clear bluetac. I stuck one out of sight up the top of the perspex out of sight with a credit card totally out of view. I prefer this approach to letting the dealer do it to be honest.

not sure people think its just the perspex , if you press the perspex it appears to move but it is the whole unit, it is a sealed unit , take the shroud off the front and undo the the two screws behind the steering wheel to remove the rubber gaited then there are two tor screws holding the spedo in

decent bit of sticky back foam no more noises

JayMay

Aug 22, 2016
Perspex surround

I too have a rattle coming from this area and what's more, looks like the previous owners ha e had this out once as the inside of the Perspex is full of wipe marks and fi get prints. Anyone have a step by step (with images if they can) on how to remove this Perspex to clean and add some felt above it.
No issues with the door cards for me. Just the dash rattle.
Thanks in advance.

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
There is a SEAT 'TPI' (service bulletin) out for the instrument cluster perspex rattle. Dealer fixed it for me last week :) Unfortunately I don't know what the reference number is.

I'd be *very* grateful if some could either get the link/number of both (door cards and dash) TPI, or post the scans of them. Could someone please be so kind and give a call to his dealer/service to get it?

Thing is, my dealer is playing "we don't know what/where to look for" and "it's common that if we fix it, four other rattle sources will emerge".

I was speechless. Such an answer for a 35k EUR car. I mean... am I to do his work? Is he really trying to convince me that SEAT cars are to rattle and this is not a fault? Unless he gives me this on paper (RATTLES are not a fault of SEAT cars), then it's a fault to fix under warranty. And if he gave it on paper, then I wonder who'd ever buy a SEAT again were I to accidentally publish the scan of it...

notabenem

Aug 26, 2016
Thanks veno for the precious info.
I've just went through the dash rattle TPI. It says
Improvements introduced as of chassis number VSS***5F*ER125747.
My chassis is VSS***5F*GR. Since G is after "E", does that mean, that this TPI does not apply to my car any mroe? Should it be assumed that this fix should not be applicable? If so, the culprit must be somewhere else, as my dash still rattles...

Last edited:

Lentäjä

Jan 19, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Improvements introduced as of chassis number VSS***5F*ER125747.
My chassis is VSS***5F*GR. Since G is after "E", does that mean, that this TPI does not apply to my car any mroe? Should it be assumed that this fix should not be applicable? If so, the culprit must be somewhere else, as my dash still rattles...

So the E and cars before E will need this fix, but cars from G and forward is ok?

Last edited:

veno

I continue to struggle fixing the noises in my car.

When I hit pothole there is rattling form the front doors, it is like I hear window glasses rattle.

I have added "silent coat" to all my doors, and while this improved much the road noise, I still can hear rattles on rough road or hitting potholes, I changed all the door cards clips on front doors with brand new. I even added some felt tape on both front doors on the place mentioned in the TPI.

Central console cheap plastic trim surround the Multimedia rattle I would not mention, because I have ordered new piano black surroundings like in Cupra, and will see if anything will change after I replace the stock XP one, which I damaged while dismounting them for fixing with some spray.

Currently have tried silicone spray which makes the things worse and now Dry PTFE which improves the things much but not fixes them. Still the cheap plastic rattles, it is made of 2 welded one to another, one is the imitation of chrome.

Any advice will be appreciated. I didn't bother the dealer yet, but since I have done a lot of things on the doors, I doubt they would like to look at them. I will go to them to have the plastic trim replaced on both central console and the other side air-vent with the one ordered from me when they arrive.

Vale46

Apr 20, 2016
I too appear to have a slight rattle from the instruments when going over rough surfaces. I've had a quick look at the binnacle but can see the correct way to remove the black trim from the outer section, as this appears to be the source of the noise. Is there a specific way, i.e. just prise it out, or are there hidden torx/screw fittings that aren't visible?
Oh and if you think the rattles are bad in a Leon, you should try an IX35 SUV, I had two of them and sold them both on the basis the plastics made so much noise! My E46 & E39 BMW Tourings was the best for noise suppression, as never had a squeak out of their trim ever...

veno

the binnacle is removed from up and down. There are four clips, 2 on top and 2 on the bottom.
You have to unclip first the soft rubber between the binnacle and the steering wheel column, it is clipped on the binnacle from behind, easily unclipped. Then using plastic trim removal tool try from the top of the binnacle, there the clips are more strong. There are also small clips on both sides of the binnacle but much smaller and easily unclipped. Move your steering wheel bottom and towards the driver most to easily work.

Anyway usually the rattle is from the instrumment cluster top not the binnacle. But you have to first remove the binnacle. There is TPI explaining to put some felts on the ears when the instrument cluster clips on the top. To remove the instrumment cluster after removing the binaccle surround you have to unscrew 2 bolts at the bottom of it, then unclip from the top where you have to put some felts. Send me email and I will send you the TPI.

P.S. If your car is under warranty my advise is to go to the dealer otherwise you risk to broke some things. I have done this already on some parts of the trim and till now it costs me more than 200 euro to buy new trims.

Last edited:

Vale46

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Veno,

Thanks for your explanation, I think I'll have a look at the wknd. I don't appear to be able to send you my email as I can't see where to PM you :-(

Craig-P

Oct 20, 2016
Both of these issue's where TPI's (Technical service bulletin - known faults by Seat)

Not sure if the dial one is still live though or it may just be Leon spec trim specific..?

I'm juist putting up with my door rattle's as I dont want them being made worse!!

veno

I think my car squeaks from different places every day. Am I going mad :rofl:

Honestly I have OCD on rattles and noises. I am going to do the doors again probably, I have added only silent coat mat now planning to add sound absorber foam....

Going crazy and not enjoyng the car! [:@]

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise