De-wiper help?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
OK, I've done this now - Step through....

- Remove the 1 bolt on the wiper spindle, then remove rear wiper (WD40 helps loosen it on the spindle).
- Open the bootlid. Remove 2 screws, then pull the Trim to remove. Its also held in with 6 clips, so a firm tug helps alot!

With the Trim now removed, the rear wiper assembly is now accessible...

- Remove the electrical block connector + water pipe, from rear wiper motor assembly.
- Use plumber putty to cap the end of the pipe to seal, to prevent it leaking.
- Unscrew the 3 bolts that secure the rear washer motor/assembly.

Re-fitting - Refit boot trim, helps to align it around bootlid latch first, then clips, then 2 screws.

- With bootlid closed, pop out the Rubber ring thats left in the glass.
- Use a 24mm Aerial grommit (available in Halfords), to neatly close the hole.

Job complete. :cheers:

Are you going to disable it through VAG.COM too or just leave it as is? I just dont see what harm could come of accidentally, once in a blue moon, turning the rear wiper on...? Surely it just wouldnt do anything?

FR_Flavoured

Yo! :) No I wont do anything in VAG.COM. I did consider, will an error be brought up on the Dash when it detects no rear wiper, as it tries activating it??? Dont expect so. The electrical block connector simply has nothing on the end, so wont activate. I neatly tucked it (along with water pipe) into the tailgate, so no issues there either.

To get the Wiper off, I actually used pliers - one side under the wiper, with the other over the end of the spindle - was a heavy handed approach, but did the job, and the wiper came off quite quickly. Gave it a spray of WD40 beforehand.

Will get pics up, but probably not til after the weekend. The car needs a good wash first, plus I'm fitting the wind deflectors this week too when they arrive. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

leonrob

allways inovating
Jan 5, 2010
you can also buy glass plugs with rubber round the outside to descise it a bit more they are pushed in from the inside exposing the glass on the outside
just a thought

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
photowf.jpg

Finally done it :) once i got the right technique the wiper arm came off prity easily. Sorry for the poor quality its off my phone. Looks much better i think. Wondering now whether to de-badge :think:

Last edited:

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
That looks very well! Think i may have to take a trip to Halfrawds and pick up a few essentials and get this done...

Would you de-badge the whole lot or would you remove just the LEON and leave the FR? I was thinking of either removing the LEON and leaving the FR or painting the LEON black...? Dont know what to do!

FR_Flavoured

Hi, vroomtshh, I still have the original Wiper Arm + Rear Motor assembly to hand, as new.
If you are interested in any of these items, please PM me an offer, and I can get said items posted to you. ;)

FR_Flavoured

Any pictures yet or anyone tried or accidentally put the rear wiper on with it now being removed to see what happens...?

Did this Friday just gone - nothing else happened. :)
Had the main wipers on as it WAS quite wet, and reversed a few times, and had no issues whatsoever. No dings / dongs or other issues occured as a result of no rear Wiper.

I will say that my Engine / Emissions management light came on the dash as I got closer to home, on that same trip :( , but I think thats just coincidence !!!!?

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
ye i like it to, looks nice and clean looking. Cant quite get myself to do it yet tho, might not like it after a while and then wanna put it back on but then i would have the problem of putting it back in the right place.

Yes, well that's the only thing... Although I recall David @ SERE is able to supply new lettering for a reasonable price which comes already spaced which would be really handy, would just need to place the LEON as a whole then, centered on the boot as opposed to each letter individually. Dont ask me how it all works though as ive never actually seen what way its put together etc.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
Did this Friday just gone - nothing else happened. :)
Had the main wipers on as it WAS quite wet, and reversed a few times, and had no issues whatsoever. No dings / dongs or other issues occured as a result of no rear Wiper.

I will say that my Engine / Emissions management light came on the dash as I got closer to home, on that same trip :( , but I think thats just coincidence !!!!?

:think: Hmmm... I might hold off until you know what exactly caused the light to come on and the wiper is definately ruled out!

Lee Edgecombe

Photoshop ;)
Mar 16, 2009
South Wales
Yes, well that's the only thing... Although I recall David @ SERE is able to supply new lettering for a reasonable price which comes already spaced which would be really handy, would just need to place the LEON as a whole then, centered on the boot as opposed to each letter individually. Dont ask me how it all works though as ive never actually seen what way its put together etc.

ah cool, thats convinced me abit more :) have to find out first tho. But think i will do it.

White_Lady_170

Dirty Derv
Jan 20, 2009
N. Ireland
just spoke to dave, he can get the LEON lettering already spaced out for £6, but if u got a CUPRA then its £22 lol good thing i got a FR

Well thats that sorted then. You didnt happen to ask David where my other couple of engine cover mounts are?lol think he forgot to post them out. Its holding with the 3 though so should be grand hopefully...