Dead speedo and mad clock....

chris l

Started yesterday; the clock hands started spinning madly, and then I noticed that the speedo was reading zero...

Later in the day the speedo came back on, reading accurately, but the clock stuck.

This morning the clock hasn't moved, but when the ignition was turned on the clock began to spin quickly, and again I have no speedo reading....

Electrical? Mechanical?

All suggestons gratefully received...

Jun 14, 2009
How many miles has your car done? Perhaps the sensor in the speedo needs replacing if it is qutie an old model.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Check the earth wire that feeds into the back of the instrument cluster. Had the same problem with my Arosa, bought new clocks and a new speedo sensor and it turned out to be the earth wire. Have a look in the Arosa section and there is a sticky thread with a wiring diagram, might be similar ?

chris l

Thanks...

to both of you; I suspected electrical, as it seems to come and go.. the earth sounds likely, as does the senor; we'll have a go at both.

I've got a Haynes, so that'll be me Sunday morning.

It's got 140k on it, so I can't complain - 1900cc non turbo diesel, cost £700 four or five years ago, and I've put 50k on it with minimal expenditure, all at 40p/mile, thanks to my job.

Cheers.