Dealer Margins on a Cupra TDi

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Afternoon

Looking into getting a Cupra TDi again now a few months have passed since the last attempt.
Seen one in Wolves I'm quite eager to offer on, as the insurance price is managable.

It's a 2006/56 with 7k miles up at £12444.. Which seems to be about book price.. However.. Wonder if anyone does, or has worked for a SEAT stealer and know what sort of margins they put on cars so as not to offend them and think I'm a timewaster when the offer is made? I'm thinking a start offer of about 10k, but would that be too low?

If this one slips through too, it'll be back to the drawing board for a couple of months until another comes up, April is when any colour would be considered (Other than Black.)

Help appreciated...

Dave

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
all dealer dependent, but work on at least 10% but could be more if they took it in part ex.

Just push them as much and politley as possible, but also make it very clear that you have the cash, even invent another garage you are playing them off against.

However as you already have realised most cupra Tdi's sell themselves, so not all dealers will haggle much

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Thanks Ant.
I'm going to be going to the dealer 2 weeks tomorrow providing it's still there (One I saw in Aylesbury a few months back there stayed for 2 and a half months, hoping this will be the same!!!!) to test drive and offer.. As I presume end of month will be the best time??

Keep you all informed.. But hopefully a new Cupra TDi owner very soon!!

dannyboy89

no stealer will knock 2500 off a car unless theyre on drugs

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
focus on a cost to change. so that way they can still sell it for £12.5k, but give you more on the part ex.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
I've managed to dig up a lot more money than first anticipated now.. So should be mine either way hopefully, but we'll see.

m0rk, that's another approach I was gonna try, but I'd really have to fight for them to give me £5k on a 5 year old Peugeot!! haha!

Thanks again for help :)

Mr Cellotape

AKA Mr Ribbed
May 9, 2006
Warwickshire once.
Think about the deal as two seperate things:-
1) The cost to purchase the new car.
2) The sale cost (part ex) of your car.

You need to maximise the amount you get on both. Do not tell the dealer how much money you have to spend as he will want all of that.

Look in Glasses guide at the cost the dealer will have paid for the Cupra TDI and the cost that he would be looking to pay for your Pug and the expected sale values against condition.

That way you can at least know what sort of a deal you are getting and push for more if it isn't good enough.

Remember that every one of the pounds that they are talking about you have worked long and hard to earn, so do not even worry about haggling down to the final pound.

Also consider what they can throw in free, new tyres, free services, new matts, chrome interior inserts for air vents and gear surround, etc. What ever they do not knock off in money terms try and add to the free stuff.

Play hard ball, but be nice.

Good luck Steve.

Last edited:
The problem with dealer/customer negotiations is there is usually too much secrecy, dealers will put the cars on sale at a higher price than they'll accept because they know the punter has seen Baldy Dom on TV telling them to haggle, the punter asks more for his/her car because they've seen the forecourt prices of similar models. A far easier way forward is book for book, ie the garage charges retail book price and offers the punter trade book price, this assumes the dealer car is mint and the trade in average with adjustment up or down for condition. Assuming the trade in is then retailed by the dealer, out of the dealers margin will then come the cost of recon and any servicing/MoT, VAT on the difference in selling price and buy in price, advertising, warranty salesman commission and of course usual running costs.

The way you could look at how much you should ask for in discount is to work out how much you spend in a supermarket every year against how much you spend on your car and then ask the dealer for the same amount of discount as a percentage you ask Tesco, Sainsburys etc for when paying for the shopping! The supermarkets are on net against gross overall trading margin of around 5.5% the average UK SEAT main dealer is on 0.9%!

If anyone disbelieves this figure log onto www.trevorjones.uk.com they're the industries leading firm of accountants and they publish the most accurate motor trade financial details in their Driving Force magazine.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Thanks for the info people.

I'm in Stafford to see my sister and niece today, so going to pop round and have a look at the car as well. Unsure as to whether I'll offer today.. Depends how much I love the thing!!

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
If it's a 56 plate car you need to check whether it's model year 06 or model year 07. MY07 had an iPod input as standard, a slightly revised rear bumber and, most obviously, steering wheel mounted controls. MY06 didn't have these things.

Obviously if it's an MY06 car then you have more bartering power as it isn't the latest spec. Worked for me when I got my MY06 spec, as did being firm but nice.

Good luck!

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Had a look at it and love it. It is a MY07 one, could afford the full amount now, but obviously I'm aiming to pay as far from that as possible. The only bitch was that someone else was there to test drive it after I had had mine.. Going back on Monday to see what can be done (So long as not sold tomorrow)! Really hoping. I love it, but am prepared to walk away if they're arsey or whatever.

We'll see what happens anyway.. Would want them to refurb the alloys and stuff.
Won't be doing a p/x as the price they'd be looking to buy it from is about £3k.. No chance!

Fingers crossed and I'll let you all know.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Thanks for that ally, muchos help!

As there's more interest in the car than I'd hoped for, I'm gonna be trying for the £11.5k mark, but not expecting it to budge all that much.. Just see if I can swing them by having the money ready to hand. There's a couple of things I'd want them to sort or reduce price for.. But we'll see what happens on Monday..

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
When I bought mine, I had the added complication of the car I was trading in being worth more than the car I was buying so they had to give me money. On top of that, there was a nice long list of stuff which I wanted them to do to the Cupra before I'd agree to buying it which must have eaten to their margins a bit.

Be firm and you'll get something at or if not close to the price you want.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Right, just been to the dealers on the way home from dropping my 206s old alloys off..
I've placed a £100 fully refundable deposit on it, and am going back tomorrow to have a proper, final test drive.

They wanted to offer £3000 for the 206, got it to £3700, then said to them we'd place a deposit if they gave me £4k for it, which they accepted, as long as the total sale price was still £12444. Couple of little things to discuss with them before confirming purchase.. But I'm very likely to end up with it.

Thanks again for all your help, and hopefully I'll have some pictures of it on my drive pretty soon :)

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
Congratulations! :)

Look forward to seeing it round Sandbach when I'm next oop North to collect my Clio.

dannyboy89

seat have an offer on brand new ibizas at the moment if ur intrested, it only lasts until jan 31st, its 0% apr on all ibizas,but they sting u anyway if ur part exn. I took my 55 plate 1.4 tdi sx in and asked for a part ex price, they offered me £5500, thats 1500 less than the book price. That would of been a loss of 4500 in 2 years, so i sed fuk it, ill forget the fr and keep the 1.4

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Glad it was a refundable deposit.

Don't remember the other Cupras I've test driven being even half as noisy as that one was, but I can't risk it. Deal is off.
May try a couple of others, but the road noise really was totally unbearable.

Really quite gutted.. But think I'll look for another car, be it Seat or not...

Hindey

Clio 197
Nov 25, 2001
London
Oh no! :(

The road noise is definitely, er noisey, but I don't think it's "unbearable". Did it have Pirellis on it? Were they at the right pressure?

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
This was as such that my ears were at the point of popping the whole way! Couldn't hear what anyone was saying!

It did in fairness have a no-brand tyre on (Not sure why a 8000 mile old car would have had to have them changed - also doesn't seem good), but I can't risk it being noisier than I want.. So that particular one is a no-go. Not sure what the pressures were.. Back to the drawing board :(

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.