"Decatting" the Standard Cat

Mat

Been thinking of this for about 6 months after watching a mate mess around with a Matiz he had at his garage in for repair work.....

Now I know if I decat the the exhaust, I'll get the EML on (until I map it out), however, after seeing what my mate did for a laugh on a Matiz, I was thinking of removing the Cat, cut it open, smash the insides out and weld back up (pikley I know, but temporary). Now, as it would still be the existing pipe, just without the inners, it would mean that the lambda sensor stays in place.... Would this still prevent the light coming on?

P-torque.co.uk

Mar 30, 2006
Wolverhampton
www.p-torque.co.uk
Hi Mat

No, leaving the lambda will still bring a light on, as it will detect much higher emission values. You will need the 2nd lambda mapped out.

As for de-catting, you'd be better off having a custom exhaust shop make you a straight through pipe. It won't cost much at all, and is better method of carrying it out :)

edit: as Mark mentions above, to get a worth while gain a wider bore downpipe is required

Mat

cheers guys....

Wasn't sure if the light would still pop on due to emisions.... Got cat back now, will be decatting soon, but didn't fancy decat if the light would be on until can afford to map it, hence the question above....

thanks.... guess i'll settle for current set up (or decat and bare with the eml)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
I'd hold out for a sports cat Mat. The k03 studs are such a pain to get at, it would just piss you off at MOT time.

Mat

I know a mate who does MOTs ;) Saying that tho, it only JUST passed this year... So think sports cat may be a fail.... Decision is, 100 or 200 cell

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
I got my bluflame de-cat pipe through a little while ago. Its huge lol.

Cant wait to get it all fitted.

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
£200 all in.

From the looks of it looks like its 3" down to 2.5" although i havent measured it.

Had to wait 10 days for delivery though because they had to make it fresh as had none on the shelf.

tarzan

cupra owner from norway
Mar 15, 2008
drammen norway
changed my downpipe for a new one and found out that the cat was taken out:blink:driven with out cat for 2 years and no eml light:confused:just on fault code

s1l3nc3r

ASBO car.
Jun 30, 2008
essex
iirc some do some dont have a problem with an eml with a de-cat.

Pust some people into limp because of it from what ive read.

Seems we all get different results with, it much the same as the sai removal etc.

Mat

didn't know about limp mode with a decat.... just thought you got a light on

daves ibiza

i wouldnt bother mate as pipe is to restrictive as it is . buy your self a new decat dp for xmas matey;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.