Dension ipod link. Help please!!!

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Hi,

I have a Dension iPod Connection but i'm having trouble getting it to work.

I've fitted it to the cd connection in the back of the headunit and connected it to the iPod.

When i press the cd button on the headunit it displays "changer" but nothing happens.

I know the headunit is okay as i was using a cd changer for a while.

The software on my ipod is all up to date.

There is one red wire on the iPod link that isn't connected to anything. Does anyone know where this goes as the instructions say nothing about it!?

Any help would be appreciated, listening to the radio 24/7 is slowly grinding me down!

Thanks in advance.

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
Hi

No experience with iPod's or the product you bought, but I did buy a AutoLeads adaptor for the Ibiza changer socket on the radio (they work the same way) and found it also had a BLACK lead hanging free. Careful studying of the instructions told me I had to ground this lead, and it all came to life.

Like I said, no experience with your product, but they don't leave cables hanging free for no reason. Can you check with the manufacturer?

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
Hi Martin,

I fitted a Dension Ice Link >Plus to my mk3 Ibiza few weeks back, had a few difficulties mainly due to poor instructions! Not sure why you've got an unconnected 'red' wire???

I remember there was a blk wire which as stated above, was the earth wire, and the dension interface will not work until a good earth is acheived.

There is also a yellow cable with an RCA type adaptor on the end, this cable is for the use of a dvd screen (omitts video signals) etc, so in my case it stayed unconnected.

Overall the dension product is poor. Sound quality is great, but functionality of the dension interface is majorly floored! I cannot skip from one track to the next, it skips every other track, i.e. 1,3,5,7 etc. The only way to play the missed out track is to press previous track once its played for a while.
Also cannot access the rest of my playlists after playlist 5!

Spoke to Dension a number of times, and they tell me they're fully aware of the issues i raised, and cannot offer a solution as it only appears to be certain denison interfaces. They could have told me this before i paid out the cash!

At a RRP of £100, its not worth it!

Anyway, all the best with sorting yours, hopefully you'll be more impressed than i was!

costa_cupra

The best place to ground your earth wire is behind the glove box where the air con unit is, there are two screw bolts there just loosen it slightly and put the wire n and tighten it back up.

I too have problems with the skipping tracks, its just a major floor unfortunately!

RichN

Collecting Rings
Jan 29, 2005
Oxford
www.Oxford7s.net
That's also a good idea, but I grounded mine onto the radio chasis itself, plenty of screws available on it to tuck the wire under.

(without stealing the thread, what's the aircon unit behind the glove box, can it be cleaned?)

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
Thanks for all your help! I'll give it a try and see what happens.

I've heard about the tracks skipping but i think i canm live with it as long as the sound is good!

Jul 10, 2001
Bedfordshire
Visit site
Big Lad: so did you experience problems with the dension ice link adaptor before grounding the earth wire on to the chassis of the radio, i.e. skipping tracks etc?

No, if i didn't connect it to a suitable earthing point it wouldn't play at all. Now that it is connected, its playing fine, although i do experience the same problems like everyone else in that it skips to every other track, but i've got used to it. Keep meaning to speak to Dension directly to see if they can sort the problem, but i keep forgetting

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
Yeh i too found that out.
I earthed it the quickest way i could to begin with, but the ipod wouldn't play and i soon realised it was cus the earth fault impedance was poor. Once i earthed it to the bolt behind the glove box it worked fine.

I wouldn't bother with Dension, i've phoned and emailed them about skipping tracks, and i cant access my ipod playlists other than 1-5, they were useless to say the least. Their reply back was along the lines of:

'its an intermittent fault on this interface and there is no update available to solve it. Do not try downloading various update softwares as it will corrupt the interface'.

Let me know if you ever do sort it!

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
There is also a yellow cable with an RCA type adaptor on the end, this cable is for the use of a dvd screen (omitts video signals) etc, so in my case it stayed unconnected.

Does everyone have this yellow cable?

I've just been trying to sort mine and it doesn't have this. I'm thinking i may have the wrong connection.

Cupra_J_RS

Yellow Perril Cupra
May 14, 2007
Solihull, Birmingham
I don't know much about the different types, but as far as i know, the interface for the Ibiza Mk3 does have the yellow RCA connector - which remains unconnected in my case.

Not sure if this helps!

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
I don't know much about the different types, but as far as i know, the interface for the Ibiza Mk3 does have the yellow RCA connector - which remains unconnected in my case.

Not sure if this helps!

Yeah this helps thanks. The one showing on the Dension site also has the yellow connector.

We're going to try it in another Ibiza just to make sure it's not a faulty headunit or anything. Fingers crossed it's just the wrong one!

darrenh

...soon to have new shoes
Mar 30, 2005
Cambs
www.myspace.com
I know this is pulling this thread out from the archives, but I've got exactly the same problem? It's earthed properly as it's charging the iPhone... however when I press 'CD' - it just says 'Changer', then goes back to the radio.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks

R4cup

Beef NO Burger
Jul 28, 2006
In the garage
Digging up an old thread as i now have this problem.

Pressing the "cd" button & it says changer for about 3 seconds then switches back to radio.

Do i need to re-set radio with vag-com or something?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.