Diff broken?

Dara O' C

Lads,

Has anyone any advise, think the difff is fu**ed on my LCR!!! (loud whining noise when i coast, goddamn it)I want to replace with standard but how much are they new and does anyone know where/if I could replace with a secondhand???

Thanks.

Dara O' C

Thanks for the feedback dude. Im pretty low on cash at the moment too as my car recently went though the NCT(Irish equivalent of MOT) and with the shite roads here compared to the UK I had to pump in a fair bit of cash. (the bloody rear middle seat belt is seized too!!!!!!!!) That’s why I was looking for an original used unit off a crashed motor. I think the MK4 golf is compatible too.

I was just wondering if anyone had experienced similar issues

Dara.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
How sure are you that it's the diff? I can only think of one easy way to test it but it may be considered dangerous, so beware if you choose to try this: If you were able to jack up one of the front wheels but have the other firmly on the ground, if you had the engine running and tried to apply a little accelerator only the wheel off of the ground should turn. It would be working the diff quite a lot so may help you work out whether it's that or not. Alternatively, jacking both sides up and having it in neutral may allow you to turn the wheels by hand.

As I say, potentially dangerous if the car falls off of the jacks or you get near the spinning wheel, but until someone who knows more about it comes along that's the only way to test a diff without taking bits off that I know.

BE WARNED

This post will most likely disappear for giving terribly bad advice any second now... any second... now... NOW... any se...

Dara O' C

Yea good idea might try it. But I have a fair idea its the diff, a friend of mine who had an S3 had a similar issue with his and the symptoms sound too bloody similar.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
How long have you had your car?
I've had mine from new (03)and the coast down has always been noisy.

I'm getting a LSD fitted to another GB and get this fitted to my car ASAP.
1st off I would change your GB oil for fresh new OEM stuff and see how that effects the noise

Dara O' C

Mines an 04 225BHP Ive had it for nearly 2 years and its only in the last few weeks i have noticed they extra loud coasting noise(even my girlfriend noticed).

But thats a really good suggestion on the GB oil il try that first, ill let you know how I get on.

How much is the LSD you are fitting going to cost? (il have to add an extra 0 to it over here)

Thanks

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Mines an 04 225BHP Ive had it for nearly 2 years and its only in the last few weeks i have noticed they extra loud coasting noise(even my girlfriend noticed).

But thats a really good suggestion on the GB oil il try that first, ill let you know how I get on.

How much is the LSD you are fitting going to cost? (il have to add an extra 0 to it over here)

Thanks
Buying and fitting an LSD is not the cheap option.
A good diff is £600+, fitting is £400 ish plus spares etc for GB repair
Then there's fitting the GB back to the car and perhaps a new clutch and fly wheel if these are worn as your in that area anyway.

Dara O' C

I have located a 2nd hand gear box of an S3 (78K miles) here in Ireland, its off an AMK code engine. I wonder is it compatible with my BAM engined car and if so do you think its a good idea?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Not compatible buddy.
Thhe S3 is 4wd and has a transfer box sticking out the back of it.
You need a 2WD 6 speed 02M GB
I know a guy who had 3 x 02M Gear boxes in Ireland and was selling them for under £350. He's in the Belfast area.
Speak to David at SereMotors (Belfast) and ask him for the number of the guy in Ireland that he gave to me (Willie) when I was looking for a GB.

Jerry*

Aug 12, 2009
Leeds
Just a thought...

Are you deffo sure its the diff?

I've heard many stories about groaning diffs on LCRs and so it could well be that, but have you deffo checked the wheel bearings? I had this on my old car and its was a pretty strange noise when I coasted or turned right.... turned out to be a sha99ed NSF wheel bearing which cost me just £60 to fix.

Worth checking out.

J:)

Dara O' C

No the noise is coming from deep in the bowels of the transmission. I had a mate of mine who is a mechanic bring it for a spin and he is pretty sure that its the diff too. As it turns out the unit from the S3 is not cross compatible, but I have found a gearbox in a scrap yard from an AUK 180bhp Cupra 6-speed model with 20K done.

Does anyone know of this will if my motor (BAM) is compatible with a 6-speed AUK gearboX???

Dara O' C

I really am not sure if it is compatible, I need someone with a greater knowlege than myself to answer!

Man its hard to find a replacement gearbox for a BAM unit.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.