Diff making a noise

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
Car started making a funny noise last night. Seemed to when accelerating in gears 1 - 3. In first if i pull away quite sharply, and in 2nd and 3rd, when boost comes in and torque picks up loads. Kind of like a whining/grating noise. Also when turning sharp corners when i was in a housing estate. One of my mates thinks if could be the diff, which could explain the cornering, and when there's a lot of stress when the torque comes in. (It's a remapped LCR)
Anyone know of many Diffs going before?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I've had this sort of noise for a while, its not very load like you describe.,
I've put it down to a CV joint but still not got round to changing it.
Mine only happens when booting round tight corners on a back roads

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
There is a slight vibration back through the passenger side footwell, acording to my mate who was in the car today.
Had thought about a bearing, but the noise doesn't seem to be there during general cruising, or normal driving. just when accelerating quite sharply.

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
Well, something gave up on the way to work this morning. Downed from 6th to 4th appraoching a tight corner, and when i released the clutch, there was a knock, follwed by lots of rumbling, and lots of vibration. still drives, but makes an awful noise. i pulled over, luckilly near a mates house when it happened, so left it there all day.
When i took it the 200 yards or so, from on the road, to round by his house, it flet like the CV joint had snapped or something, and was flailing around when the wheel was turning, but like i say, still drives. It slows down a bit when you turn a corner though, so something must be tensioning up. Had to turn the traction control off too, as the light was flashing loads.
Been on the phone to the garage where i bought it, as it's got 3 months parts and labour warranty, on engine, gearbox, and axles. I've got to get it recovered, and into a garage here, to see what the fault is, then if it's something covered by warranty, i've gotta get the car transported 200 miles to the garage where i bought it from.
Getting it recovered by a mate tomorow night, and into his garage to see whats what.

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
then if it's something covered by warranty, i've gotta get the car transported 200 miles to the garage where i bought it from.

not always the case as most garages use an outside 'warranty' company

worth asking who/what/where etc first and check ya policy if you have one

dg-1984

May 28, 2008
Glasgow'ish
Sorry to bring this back up, I am just wondering what happened with the car and what was the problem?

My car makes a grumbling noise when turning right under load but only when the car is cold, once its warmed up after 30 mins driving its gone.
Speaking to the guy at seat garage said it could be the start of the diff bearings wearing and would cost roughly 800 to have it repaired.
Also said nothing to worry about just now until it starts to make the noise all the time but itsa something I need to look into to see the best way to get it repaired once the time comes.

Moffat

Cupra R
Mar 29, 2009
Alnwick, Northumberland
Erm...on mine it turned out to the gearbox mount. It must of been working its way loose. It turned out that the gearbox mount had fallen off. I just got a new mount put on.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.