Discs & Pads.....which ones??

Nick-21

Oct 26, 2010
I have found these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390270003132 and was wondering if anyone had any opinions?

It says there discs could be a a number of manufacturers depending on what they have instock

depending on what we have on the shelfs at the time of purchase brands can be of CHASE , LPB , VECO , DRIVEMASTER ,ALLIED NIPPON , ROTOTECH ,ABTEX etc which ever brand we send the brakes will be BS quality & standard e-approved and have been tried and tested by our MOT station outlet customers

or if these would be a safer and cheaper bet

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270395929370&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

cheers for any opinions :think:

s_purs

The drilled and groved ones will look far better behind the alloys! Have you got Brembos on the FR or are they the same standard brakes as the Cupra 180? Would love to get drilled and groved ones when mine need replacing this year, but I didnt know you could fit them to standard brake calipers

Nick-21

Oct 26, 2010
Mine is just the cupra model but neither the cupra tdi or the fr have the brembos. Not sure what size discs come on the cupra 180 so i couldn't say, still need to double check if my car has the 288mm or 280mm front discs.

I was more concerned about the quality of the grooved and drilled discs for the price, if the quality was rubbish i might be safer with the none grooved or drilled ones.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That Mintex deal seems quite good even though they're plain discs. I wouldn't do drilled at all due to potential cracking, but I've had grooved before and they do look the business.

My next set of discs will be from the Ebay seller that cuts EBC discs, I'm very happy with my current EBC discs and can see the benefit of having them grooved. It worked out quite cheap and a few people have had them.

Nick-21

Oct 26, 2010
Have you a link to those ones Slimy?

I am quite keen to get the discs and pads myself and do the job as i am not too bad at the basic stuff and when the garage wanted £150 for front discs and pads and £100 for the rears i am now 100% certain on doing it myself.

Jan 3, 2006
East Kilbride
Mine is just the cupra model but neither the cupra tdi or the fr have the brembos. Not sure what size discs come on the cupra 180 so i couldn't say, still need to double check if my car has the 288mm or 280mm front discs.

Depending on the year, they could be 312mm on the front, thats what mine are.

I bought grooved EBC discs and red stuff pads from CRN. Quite happy with them, grooves make breaking noisey though...

Nick-21

Oct 26, 2010
Hm, so even the cupra tdi could have 312 discs on the front? It is defo a case of ill have to measure before i buy.

Might go for cheapness and what i know i am getting with the mintex discs and pads and just forget the grooved efforts.

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
Does anyone know what manufacturer makes the standard discs and pads on my 180 bhp 2003 Cupra?

I too need discs and pads all round had new discs on the rear a year ago and EBC red pads and they are buggered. The discs are all pitted and scraped so either the pads are rubbish or the discs which the local garage told me they get them off a motor factors but had no name.

Thanks

David

davidhunter

Apr 27, 2004
CJRamze yes think you are right I would point towards the pads damaging the discs rather than the other way round. Would love to get some really good discs but money is limited especially as I need a new set of tyres as well as discs and pads all round so the OEM ones are fine for me. Need to look into Mintex ones then.

Anyone know who makes the ones GSF supply? They have Pagid pads but I have heard nothing great about them

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members