Distributor cap & rotor arm replacement

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
I want to change my distributor cap and rotor arm as a matter of course, but after reading the haynes manual it says that I will have to make sure cylinder one is at TDC?!

Has anyone changed theirs and done this?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
That's for changing the distributor

You're not.

You can do it at any point in the cycle and it's fine.

Just unbolt the cap, pull off the rotor arm, stick the new one on & it's sorted.

TIP - don't remove the HT leads from the old dizzy cap, until you have fitted the new & then swap it across one at a time

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
Just attempted the dizzy cap and rotor arm. Sent me the wrong rotor arm so will just do the cap for now. Foolishly I was deep in conversation whilst removing the cap and although I transferred the leads one at a time, the car won't start.

Any ideas what to do or how to figure out the correct arrangement? Obviously each lead has a specific length? And I assume it should start immediately and if it doesn't I shouldn't leave it cranking for too long?

How stupid of me :mad:

TDi_B5

Feb 2, 2010
Southampton
Never mind, figured it out and its running fine. The old cap had quite a lot of crap on all the contacts so it needed doing. Shame about the rotor arm, I just cleaned the old one with a wire brush.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.