Diverter Valve failure i think...pls help?! *update*

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
so the other day i was connectin up to a highway, passed another car quite quickly in do so.
moments later...i was tryin to go foot flat and the revs took forever to climb unlike before.
i initially thought it was the heat as we did have quite a summer day. nonetheless it persisted later on that evenin which made me realise heat wasn't the issue. felt like i was drivin a naturally aspirated car.
it wouldn't even dump through the induction like it did before...just a slight sound.

had it logged and a fault code came up statin that i had a boost leak. the tuner confirmed that its my stock diverter valve that had given up.

took it to the VW dealer the very next day.
they called me later on informin that they cant find the fault due to an inconsistent readin caused by the installation of aftermarket parts...HUH? only aftermarket part they could see is my Forge induction.
anyways, had to send my bro there to show them pics of the diverter valve, then they finally clicked.
shouldn't the fault code inform the mechanic what exactly is wrong and what needs replacin?...why do i have to tell them what needs to be fixed?
they have ordered the revision H diverter valve which will be installed when it arrives. luckily under warranty as they were so kind.
in the meantime, i have unplugged my MAF sensor to protect my turbo.

nonetheless, i'm just afraid it ain't the diverter valve and somethin else is at fault...

any suggestions?

thanx,
RodneyA

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Get a new OEM valve fitted and see how it goes mate. The new version appears to have done away with the crappy design of the older variants and less likely to split.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
not nessecierly a fault code with a diverter valve failure. I never got one, when my diaphram ripped.

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
i've come to learn that the dv failure is a common fault on these cars.
now how is the dealer suppose to rectify the problem if no fault code is shown nor do they know what they lookin for?

just imagine a lady who knows nothin bout cars nor is on the forum, suddenly has a dv failure...i mean she'll freak if the people at the dealerships cant fix her car!

thanx,
RodneyA

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
I have had no issues with my o/e diverter so far, but i have ordered the upgraded one anyway just in case mine does start playing up

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I have had no issues with my o/e diverter so far, but i have ordered the upgraded one anyway just in case mine does start playing up

thats becuase DV failures are quite unlikely on the K04 based cars due to its remotely mounted location away from the turbo.

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
so, i have installed the revision H diverter valve and the car is performin better than it ever did.

realised that on my previous dv, i always had a leak, car wasnt performin anywhere near as what it is doing now.

mechanic at VW complimented on the design of the revision H although its marked to be fitted on the TSi engines.

if anybody needs a part number... do inform me and i will post it once i find it again.

thanx,
RodneyA

Blade

Aug 31, 2004
Teesside
so, i have installed the revision H diverter valve and the car is performin better than it ever did.

realised that on my previous dv, i always had a leak, car wasnt performin anywhere near as what it is doing now.

mechanic at VW complimented on the design of the revision H although its marked to be fitted on the TSi engines.

if anybody needs a part number... do inform me and i will post it once i find it again.

thanx,
RodneyA

Is it

06h145710d

RodneyA

FR crazy
Nov 14, 2008
South Africa
thats the correct part number!

luckily i got it done under warranty.
other than that, i had every intention of purchasing one as i was a bit impatient and no longer could drive my car like a granny. i even unplugged my MAF sensor to prevent my turbo from over spinnin to account for the pressure loss.
anyways, i got quoted ZAR800 at an VW dealer... which should be give or take £53.

thanx,
RodneyA

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members