DIY Air Box

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
Guy's,
I have already got the green cotton air filter for my TDI FR Ibiza, and cut the flap off the intake. I had a proper look at it the other day and noticed some sort of plastic grille just before the MAF sensor in the box!

Has anyone cut out and sanded this grille out? Because I'm thinking of doing this at the weekend! If so did it make a difference and is it safe to do?

Cheers in advance! :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
was gonna remove that square mesh by the maf on mine but thought better of it as I didn't want to possably damage the maf in the prosess

don't think it will make any difference anyway

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
removing the plastic mesh wont make any diffrence just cutting the intake flap and removing the trumpet shaped bit in the upper half of the airbox and smoothing all the fins in the box is the only things that can really be done :)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
in the upper half of the airbox if you open it up there is a trumpet shaped bit of plastic that sits next to the maf housing (sensor) inside the airbox if you open it up you will see what i mean ;)

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
i used a handheld belt sander at work took me 2mins max :D but ive heard of people using a stanley knife and sandpaper :shrug: to remove the trumpet you will need to unscrew the two self tapers that hold the maf to the airbox :) then just slides off

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
Cool, taking the trumpet piece out wil be easy then! :D My dads got a belt sander, but I don't know if I could be bothered to sand the box! Think I will get my dad to do the sanding for me! :whistle:

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
True True! Aww well he's got nothing else to do at the weekend, apart from cut the grass and water the plants!

If I crash will the insurance company not pay out because I have a replacement filter? :cartman:

:headhurt: :doh:

Barry.L

May 11, 2006
Reading
i read on vortex a while back that the grill is there to smooth out the airflow so the maf pics up consistent readings and that cutting it out may have a negative effect. i have no idea wether this is true or not, but just thought i'd point it out as it may be worth having a search before you do it.

CORBY

May 1, 2007
Sunderland & Washington
I'm going to leave the grille and just remove this trumpet thing and get some else to smooth the fins out! :whistle:

Are you sure Rash! Because you never know, they might even check to see if I have changed any of the self tappers/nuts/bolts of the engine etc! (everyone seems to think that insurance companies check every little detail these days)! :cartman:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
been working in accident repair for nearly 2 years and have only turned away 1 job as he was an a55ho7e and was very picky so we refused to do the work! but weve had cars with alloys non insured strut braces air filters the lot and estimators where i work arent interested :shrug:

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
Depends What The Accident Circumstances Were If It Is A 4-5 Car Pile Up And It Was Proved You Where Speeding And Major Injury's Were Prescent Then There Is A Chance They Will Impound The Car And Strip It Down And See It It Is Modifyed In Any Way From The Insurance Documents Revo Is The Safest Bet As It Has On Off Switch And Is Hidden! So Unless A Big Crash No1 Has Much To Worry About Still I Dont Comdem Not Insuring Propperly! But It Is A Bit Trickey To Proove!