DIY Short shift

swedey21

Most days i drink meths..
Nov 15, 2011
burford
WOW!

Thats the best 30 mins of my lunch break ive spent...
Cant wait to try it out!

SOOOO...much difference..

Last edited:

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Can anyone confirm the measurement from original (Front-Back) pin to drill please? - sorting this tonight ... something never got round to doing!!! :)

Already have stainless bolts, etc in the garage so its a free mod. :)

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
The measurements quoted on here are 11mm and 22mm, please note I done mine last week and found this to be very very short and as my mrs drives mine I thought it was to much, so I adjusted the 22 to around 17mm.... Made it lots easier and still loads shorter than the original scania linkage used LOL

Sep 4, 2012
Rainham essex
Can anyone confirm the measurement from original (Front-Back) pin to drill please? - sorting this tonight ... something never got round to doing!!! :)

Already have stainless bolts, etc in the garage so its a free mod. :)

and the side to side would be good did search it but there are two measurements for side to side

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
The measurements quoted on here are 11mm and 22mm, please note I done mine last week and found this to be very very short and as my mrs drives mine I thought it was to much, so I adjusted the 22 to around 17mm.... Made it lots easier and still loads shorter than the original scania linkage used LOL

Thanks - appreciated... found all the instructions how to do it but no measurements!

I will go with 20mm then so in between the two.

I have everything except a 'sleeve' for the bolt but will see what I can dig out...

Plan to tap the hole so can screw the bolt in then just use washers for adjustment plus the lock nut.

Sep 4, 2012
Rainham essex

so you would say 17 for side to side and 11 for back and forward.
did you do the back and forward on yours aswell. does it feel much better.

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
All done... Wasn't too bad but had issues with clearance of cable end against the original pin.

I had to go for 22mm as a result as was smallest I could go without removing the pin or cutting down the cable...

I found a M8 bolt was also far too slack... The cable hole is actually 10mm ! But I found some aluminum tube that was 10mm and fitted the bolt perfectly so now it's sleeved and a nice tight fit.

Adjusting cables after is essential... Had no gears till did the adjustment.

Difference driving is night and day - all gears select perfectly and the throw is perfect now.

Happy :)

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
Pics:

79875ACD-DFCE-4D72-BE03-3E048CB73C14-6904-000005F95AC84E04.jpg

CC7BDDAF-B27A-41F6-BD51-23FBD867B5A5-6904-000005F9646AE89F.jpg

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
It does state it needs 10mm bolt in the write up m8 and the other cable is 8mm.... I removed the pin on mine because it was fouling the linkage

Mr OCD

May 1, 2008
Manchester, UK
I read so much on subject and most people said M8 bolt... Never mind.

Mine clears pin by about 1mm - very close but doesn't touch other pin... I wouldn't want the shifter to be any shorter mind ... Weird sensation as feels as though car isn't in gear if not used to it! :D

Dec 29, 2010
Mids
I read so much on subject and most people said M8 bolt... Never mind.

Mine clears pin by about 1mm - very close but doesn't touch other pin... I wouldn't want the shifter to be any shorter mind ... Weird sensation as feels as though car isn't in gear if not used to it! :D

This is why I then made mine around 17mm instead of 22mm because it was to close for my liking thinking of the misses, but its much closer than the original and much quicker

Neil01Cupra

Did this mod today but think I have my measurements arse ways. Reset linkage when I'd finished all seemed fine until to drove car. Reverse ok. 1st, 3rd & 5th seem no different to me and can't select 2nd, 4th or 6th shifter seems to go from neutral back around 1cm only.

From mr OCD pic above my shifter linkage isn't that far across I measured 11mm across should this be 22mm. My linkage is half covering original hole.

I did the left right linkage too came down 20mm from centre of original hole all seems ok there.

Will I reset linkage again or should I move front to back linkage further over?

Neil01Cupra

That explains it!!! At least it will be quicker this time now I've done it all before lol. Would I get away with leaving side to side setting as this seems ok or should I just do both and be done with it?

Thanks for reply