DIY Short shift

dannyCworth

Sarcasm is lost in print.
Apr 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
Set about this today and all went well until it got to resetting the linkages.

Followed the guide exactly, however when i got to the point where you cycle through the gears, the fingers on my linkage springs snapped.

So now a trip the stealers is in order to replace the part! What a nightmare.

imagegycc.jpg

Last edited:

dannyCworth

Sarcasm is lost in print.
Apr 13, 2013
Milton Keynes
Yeah mate i do, however there are 3 separate part numbers depending on your chassis no.

The 3 numbers are;

1J0711761A
1J0711761B
1J0711761C

These part numbers can also be found on the part itself.

Although the ones on my car were a "B", i opted for a "C", which basically had a smaller internal diameter, making the fit on the pin nice and snug. The comparison between old and new is also massive, the old was brittle and sloppy whereas the new one was firm and had a much better grip.

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
Hey guys, I've just been through the entire thread, and I'm up for doing this. Haven't had my LCR very long and the only thing I dont like about it is the shifter throw. Up until this morn I was gonna spunk £70 on one, but now I've found this! However, I'm very unlucky when doing diy mods I've found, an was wondering if somebody has/could do an idiots guide, step by step with pictures? A lot of the pics throughout this thread have been deleted so can't really grasp what everyone's on about. Sorry to be a pain, like I said, I have a history of taking enthusiasm and turning into a nightmare... Cheers!

dave92en

Apr 6, 2013
Hey guys, I've just been through the entire thread, and I'm up for doing this. Haven't had my LCR very long and the only thing I dont like about it is the shifter throw. Up until this morn I was gonna spunk £70 on one, but now I've found this! However, I'm very unlucky when doing diy mods I've found, an was wondering if somebody has/could do an idiots guide, step by step with pictures? A lot of the pics throughout this thread have been deleted so can't really grasp what everyone's on about. Sorry to be a pain, like I said, I have a history of taking enthusiasm and turning into a nightmare... Cheers!

I second this would like a fool proof guide before i attempt this. Would be a good future resource as well as I can't find one anywhere online! :whistle:

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Remove the battery (make sure you have the radio code)
Lift the clips and slide them off this releases the cables.
13mm nut remove it and jiggle the quadrant off.
Drill the 8mm hole
Put the bolt from underneath then a nut on top.
Fit it back to the car, should be alignment marks.
Fit the cables then add a locknut to the bolt.

Reset your linkages
http://vimeo.com/6881683

Last edited:

pedro1989

May 2, 2014
Bridgend, South Wales
I managed to do this the same time as I had the air box off to do the 'air box mod', which in itself made a slightly noticeable difference.

I had no need to remove the battery (in fact it may be easier to remove the air box rather than the battery) and was such an easy mod!

After all the hype I've seen about it I didn't quite believe what a difference it would make but wow! Made hell of a difference!

Hope the Badger TIP is also what people make of it :)

Overall, top mod! Thanks auq and everyone who gave their advice

drty--den

Dec 29, 2005
As Lee said. There is no fool proof guide it pretty much is foolproof. Didn't remove anything, lift bonnet, look, 13 mm nut pull off the left hand linkage, rest it to the side of the bolt you've taken it off, score and drill. Washer onto 40x8mm bolt (I put electrical tape round rest of thread to prevent any wear) thread through linkage an new hole, nut underneath. Then reset as per his video link. Go for a blast...

dave92en

Apr 6, 2013
Cheers lads that clears it up nicely. I'll be doing this at the weekend, will take pictures and do a diy for future googlers etc.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.